PathScale Open-Sources The EKOPath 4 Compiler Suite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by markg85 View Post
    Let me quote someone (don't know who buy the line is nice)
    "assumption its the mother of all screw ups"

And I think you made one by posting the article. Not that I mind
    Actually it's probably for the better anyhow... If they don't push out the announcement today but tomorrow, it will be covered up by AMD Llano, etc. They went to Phoronix early in an attempt to generate lots of publicity anyhow and this is what's being generated as a result. Plus as noted in the notes section of the article, the open-sourcing wasn't exactly a huge secret.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

michael

are there any benchmarks on things that might be useful on a desktop?? ie mp3 encoding video encoding etc

i don't remember seeing any.

Comment

great news michael thx for the hard work and making phoronix my personal addiction for my everyday news

Note: don't pay attention to those mofos that want to find a conspiration everywhere or just proffessional trools (who knows) you are doing an excellent job here and many of us really appreciate that.

phoronix rocks

btw pts is becoming a little nasty tool for developer and tester alike nice job here too

Comment

Pardon, why does PathScale open the code?

Comment

Originally posted by puelapisse View Post
            where can we find this patch please?

also, I understand this compiler is Intel? 64 & AMD64 performance tuned but does anybody knows if it will run on 32bit?
            If you're asking if it will go with 32bit you're in wrong place cause either you have pre multicore era cpu with no AMD64/EM64T instructions and some old gpu or some ultra low end system that won't be accelerated by multiple cpu cores/gpu stream processors

Comment

Originally posted by kacperpl1 View Post
              If you're asking if it will go with 32bit you're in wrong place cause either you have pre multicore era cpu with no AMD64/EM64T instructions and some old gpu or some ultra low end system that won't be accelerated by multiple cpu cores/gpu stream processors
              i'm running a 64bit kernel with 32bit userland so my toolchain is 32bit. i just wonder if i'll be able to enjoy the new toy too.

Comment

Maybe I'm wrong, but according to wikipedia the PathScale compiler is a branch of Open64, a compiler released under the GPL http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open64#Versions.

I think they are just complying with the gpl.

Comment

These benchmarks are worthless unless you can supply more details compiler optimizations. For all we know, you might have used -O0 in the gcc tests while ekopath was tested with full optimization enabled.

Comment

So, to get this right.. That impressive c-ray improvement was with just this ekopath compiler and NOT calling the power of the GPU? If that is the case, which it seems to be, then this is really impressive!

But like said, a lot more information is needed.

Comment

Michael,

Thank you for your excellent reporting and coverage of Linux news. I, for one, appreciate the hard work you put into this site. I hope you don't let the numerous naysayers get you down.

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                      X