• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Desti View Post
    Neeeeed ebuild.
    We'll probably need a bit more than that, perhaps support in gcc-config

Comment

Originally posted by flammon View Post
      Quit being so pedantic and celebrate the good news!
      I celebrated the good news nearly two weeks ago when the beans were first spilled

Comment

Originally posted by mjkerpan View Post
        It would appear that Phoronix jumped the gun a bit here. So far, there's still nothing on the PathScale site and while a trusted source has told me that the release is still on for now, I'm kind of worried about the effect that the early leak will have...
        Michael jumped the gun two weeks ago with all his "hinting". I wonder who will seriously give this site news under embargo again?

Comment

I wonder of this will be of benefit to mesa then specially the software renderer! Also, how is the c++ 2011 support and can it build qt for example? Even if it can, will that improve performance?

this release raises a lot of questions but I'm happy anyway

Comment

Originally posted by spykes View Post
            They are big differences in performance.
            Even if the applications have been well chosen, I would never expect to see such differences by just using another compiler.
            Maybe this should be considered as bugs in GCC (it must obviously do something wrong to see such a difference).

That would be very interesting to compare compilations options, and to see how that works on different configurations as well.

And why not using Fedora 15 with GCC 4.6 to perform benchmarks?
            It's a bit more bleeding edge than Ubuntu.
            I think one of the main problems is even though OpenMP is supported in GCC very few programs utilise it's features. I think PathScale have found ways of optimizing even with out OpenMP syntax

I would be curious to see the results of GCC running with the -ftree-parallelize-loops flag

Comment

Originally posted by markg85 View Post
              I wonder of this will be of benefit to mesa then specially the software renderer! Also, how is the c++ 2011 support and can it build qt for example? Even if it can, will that improve performance?

this release raises a lot of questions but I'm happy anyway
              I wonder if we'll be able to swap out LLVM for PathScale in the pipe gallium driver

Comment

Originally posted by spykes View Post
                And why not using Fedora 15 with GCC 4.6 to perform benchmarks?
                It's a bit more bleeding edge than Ubuntu.
                Things like SELinux can slow it down.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                  Things like SELinux can slow it down.
                  That can be switched off and I don't think it affected the OpenGL tests that much

Comment

At the time of reading this, the PathScale press release should be available on their web-site and/or PRNewsWire.
                    No and/or no.

Comment

Originally posted by markg85 View Post
                      ...this release raises a lot of questions but I'm happy anyway
                      Yes, that is one of the things that came on my mind at first. Like who payed that?

Comment

Working...
                      X