Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 16 May Default To Btrfs File-System

Phoronix: Fedora 16 May Default To Btrfs File-System

At long last, the Btrfs file-system is about to see some wide-scale deployments. While this next-generation Linux file-system has been an installation option in Fedora, Ubuntu, and others going back for several releases now, with Fedora 16 it may become the default file-system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This must be a joke, like btrfs's defragmentation

See the upstream bug.

If you really use btrfs as your main fs (as I did), it's really easy for files to be fragmented to hell, and reach unbelievable slow speeds (500kb/s).

Plus there's no fsck (that can fix issues). It's experimental at best.

Comment

That's funny, I'm going to switch to Btrfs today, but using the optional setting in OpenSUSE 11.4. I'm rather excited about this.

Comment

Fedora is really a funny distro, most of the apps, drivers they use are really new, but as default bootloader they still use grub (1)! Every other distro ships grub 2. Maybe they could change that now as grub 2 has support for btrfs... When i saw the grub 1 syntax in the efi/boot dir then i thought first i did not dl the newest iso, but it was the latest one...

Comment

There's nothing to be excited about, unless you use lzo compression or anything that btrfs provides while the others don't.

I'm a bit disappointed because I installed Fedora on btrfs to use the snapshots feature, but it doesn't work so far. Fedora wiki says a new entry to create a snapshot should appear in the disk utility but I didn't found it. I will have the time to sort this out shortly but in the meantime I think the only thing btrfs does on my system is increasing the data loss probability.

I also would like to test compression but I don't know if I can just modify mount options and reboot to enable it...

Comment

btrfs still doesn't have any functioning file system cheker. How do they plan to ship it as default then?

Comment

Originally posted by peapa View Post
              There's nothing to be excited about, unless you use lzo compression or anything that btrfs provides while the others don't.

I'm a bit disappointed because I installed Fedora on btrfs to use the snapshots feature, but it doesn't work so far. Fedora wiki says a new entry to create a snapshot should appear in the disk utility but I didn't found it. I will have the time to sort this out shortly but in the meantime I think the only thing btrfs does on my system is increasing the data loss probability.

I also would like to test compression but I don't know if I can just modify mount options and reboot to enable it...
              To take a snapshot of a subvolume

btrfs subvolume snapshot /path/to/subvolume /path/to/snapshot/on/same/FS

if my /home is a subvolume, then
              btrfs sub snap /home home-snapshot

Also you can modify your mount option to include compress=lzo (depending on what kernel you have)

Comment

Originally posted by stikonas View Post
                btrfs still doesn't have any functioning file system cheker. How do they plan to ship it as default then?
                We've been hearing for a while that it'll almost be ready. Maybe they're going to release in conjunction with the new btrfsck?

There has been progress in btrfsck, but we see nothing in git because cmason doesn't want people to rush in and use new fsck code when it's not ready yet.

Comment

@stikonas
                  I also read a news on h-online.com about this and it is said that one of the criteria "is a proper program to check and repair Btrfs file systems".

It's not sure yet, if Butter FS will be the default in F16.

Comment

Not likely

Since I'm subscribed to the btrfs mailing list, let me just chime in and say there are far too many bugs reported daily for it to be in serious consideration as the default FS.

There is no fsck. Defragmentation doesn't always work. There are still lots of one-off cases that just fail because it hasn't been tested heavily yet.

I think it's a good idea Fedora starts the integration of btrfs, because maybe it'll be ready for F17. Right now I would only use it as a test playground. Even the btrfs dev say you should only use it for testing, and always keep a backup.

Comment

Working...
                    X