No announcement yet.

Skype To Take Action Against Reverse-Engineering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This unauthorized use of our application for malicious activities like spamming/phishing infringes on Skype's intellectual property.
    I get a kick out of that statement considering that almost every damn phone scam originates from the scammer using the skype service.

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
      By changing it again
      That will only up the ante..stakes are quite high as it is. With MS now in the picture by acquiring Skype this will have the potential to become another war (of words)

Comment

clean room reimplementation would be the right thing to do, law permits that.
        Clean-room is more of a defense against copyright infringement claims (even if some code ends up being identical, it can't be copyright infringement if the programmer had nothing to copy) than something that the law requires.

Comment

There are two words as a response to this oversized reaction from Skype representatives:
          1. Assholes!
          2. Boycott!

I'll shamelessly advertise their wonderful attitude to all people I know and promote freedom instead. I've already (and for long) ditched Skype and intend to show people around me the great free software we have instead.

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
            skype has solid legal basis for making action over this.
            because, apparently protocol was not really reverse engineered, but the executable was processed with disasseblers and debuggers. that makes it illegal.
            a clean room reimplementation would be the right thing to do, law permits that.
            Actually, did any of you consult Russian law about this? Because I doubt a Russian programmer cares about US law, unless he wants to visit the US some time soon...

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              i never said anything about it being illegal, its just MS is notorious for suing people who threaten their competition, no matter how much or how little they are likely to win and MS owns skype.
              Microsoft does NOT own Skype. Microsoft & Skype signed an agreement that the former will buy the later if the shareholders of both companies and the relevant government authorities that care about market regulation (at least in the EU & the US) give their permission.

So this reaction is entirely Skype's.

Comment

Originally posted by JanC View Post
                Microsoft does NOT own Skype. Microsoft & Skype signed an agreement that the former will buy the later if the shareholders of both companies and the relevant government authorities that care about market regulation (at least in the EU & the US) give their permission.

So this reaction is entirely Skype's.
                Ya but for some it is just easier to put on the tin foil hat and yell "conspiracy".

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                  i would prefer the resources that went into reverse engineering skype to have been dedicated in improving xmpp+audio/video plus doing more to make it more known.

I completely agree. I stopped using all of the closed IM protocols (unless SMS counts) a while ago. I only use XMPP and IRC. I try to get all of my family and friends to use gmail and use google chat with an open source multi-protocol client like pidgin. I hope to do my part increase XMPP's market share and hopefully wean people off of the others.

Comment

Originally posted by Prescience500 View Post
                    I completely agree. I stopped using all of the closed IM protocols (unless SMS counts) a while ago. I only use XMPP and IRC. I try to get all of my family and friends to use gmail and use google chat with an open source multi-protocol client like pidgin. I hope to do my part increase XMPP's market share and hopefully wean people off of the others.
                    If you have friends or family who use Windows you may want to clue them in on Jitsi. It supports XMPP with Jingle (audio/video) on Windows, MacOS and Linux. Unfortunately Pidgin *still* lacks video support on Windows which is really disappointing. I understand the developers are volunteers but this is a huge thing holding them back.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                      fyi, MS actually never won against the lindows case, but the devs were basically told to change the name, probably because the court was tired of hearing MS bitch and moan. today, paying for linspire is to help cover their court costs.
                      Actually, they lost it, except in one country, where they won, so Linspire changed the name rather than blocking that country.

Comment

Working...
                      X