Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Linux 3.0 Kernel Will... Reboot Better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

good to see the boot/reboot behavior finally getting some love in the linux desktop.

with this and what systemd brings am becoming much happy.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
      So... the default behavior is now to assume that you have broken hardware and treat it as such. Why not just feed the kernel a parameter that says "my hardware is a POS" to enable such moronic behavior?
      Sadly, broken hardware (or broken BIOS that causes broken-hardware-like behavior) is the safe bet when it comes to PC. Perhaps not for any specific piece of hardware, but for a randomly-chosen PC there's a good chance that it has at least one quirk calling for a similarly ugly workaround. If the workarounds were all configurable, configuring a custom kernel would go from "slightly tedious" to "black art".

Comment

Originally posted by Detructor View Post
        first: what is a reboot vector? I know what reboot means, I know what vector means...but throwing those words together doesn't make any sense to me.

second why is it bad that it points @ 0xcf9? would be 0x1337 more appropriate?

and what's the big deal about poking the keyboard controller? If I want my PC to reboot I want it to reboot. It should not poke itself o_0

That's like saying your going to sleep and then, just before sleeping you masturbate. oh wait...
        If you read the blog post, you'll find out why they point to 0x0CF9. It's bad because it's an undocumented feature, not standardised, and strictly speaking requires a pair of magic words, though appears to work with only one written twice. That's how I read it anyhow.
        Basically the way to signal a reset/reboot to the system is about as murky and abhorrent as the wireless mbus standard.

Comment

Working...
        X