Say Hello To Linux 3.0; Linus Just Tagged 3.0-rc1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
    The final 3.0.0 will be just 3.0 and future releases will be 3.1, 3.x. Afaik they just have to fix some scripts.
    And the stable versions point releases will obviously be 3.x.x, so only three numbers instead of the current four. It will probably be easier to remember. Nice.

PS: Linus has an Atom netbook? That has to be the highlight of this article.

Comment

Oh cool! Finally Linux kernel will be on-par with MINIX. MINIX has been on version 3 forever.

(sorry I just had to strike some joke on this one )

Comment

Somebody give Linus a top-of-the-line ThinkPad "T" series to lug around. Some pretty serious iron in a reasonably small package there. The head honcho has no business building the kernel on an Atom.

Other than that: I don't care about the versioning, but I do care that Linus' main goal in a kernel release is to make work easy for him. Small patches, no features, critical fixes, trivial merges. He likes that, but it does very little for us. It means that the kernel is getting stagnant, and the mindset for change and evolution is being stamped out.

Comment

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
          Somebody give Linus a top-of-the-line ThinkPad "T" series to lug around. Some pretty serious iron in a reasonably small package there. The head honcho has no business building the kernel on an Atom.

Other than that: I don't care about the versioning, but I do care that Linus' main goal in a kernel release is to make work easy for him. Small patches, no features, critical fixes, trivial merges. He likes that, but it does very little for us. It means that the kernel is getting stagnant, and the mindset for change and evolution is being stamped out.
          A T60 or T61 would do nicely as these machines sport dual-core Intel CPU's

If people follow his patch submission process things would been a LOT better and *major* changes could still be submitted for consideration. A good tip is to provide clear documentation on what a particular patch does or what bugs it fixes. Linus HATES patch submissions that are vague that's for sure. Major patches should be perhaps discussed first then if Linus gives his blessing it could be included

Comment

I think it's great he builds kernels on an ATOM. I built 3.0-rc1 on AMD K125 (single core) equipped netbook today and it's not too bad. 10 minutes or so.

By the way, 3.0-rc1 with drm/mesa/xf86-video-ati from git is boringly stable so far on my netbook. You'd think I'd see some sort of spectacular regression...

Comment

Originally posted by amphigory View Post
              I think it's great he builds kernels on an ATOM. I built 3.0-rc1 on AMD K125 (single core) equipped netbook today and it's not too bad. 10 minutes or so.

By the way, 3.0-rc1 with drm/mesa/xf86-video-ati from git is boringly stable so far on my netbook. You'd think I'd see some sort of spectacular regression...
              Guess its because Atoms are pretty much the lowest common denominator these days. Running Linux smoothly on a netbook is the aim most likely

Comment

Ohhh noooo....

I have to update all my braindumps

Comment

Working...
                X