Linux 3.0 Kernel May Remove Some Old Cruft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kazade View Post
    Michael, any chance we can get some links to the sources without having to fumble through several other Phoronix posts to get to them? Cheers.

P.S. It would be amazing if external links were a different colour, like blue or something!
    I also completely agree! The link usage on Phoronix was always troublesome to say the least.

Comment

Originally posted by leif81 View Post
      Firstly, how many non-geek linux users do you know? I know very few.

You can bet your ass every printed paper Linux mage will have a cover story if the kernel is renamed 3.0. And every linux distro that carries Linux 3.0 will list it as a headline "feature". Version numbers garner attention.

Aso, see Gnome 3.0 for how much a community can be rejuvinated for a big release.

Simply renumbering for the sake of renumbering is a waste of a MASSIVE opportunity.

P.S. Just mentioning to some of my non-linux friends that the new kernel may be named 3.0 got them all interested. And then I said nothing is new except the number. And so they went back to hacking away on Windows.
      Numbers mean shit. Software developers increment them either according to the size of their ego or to some random number generator.

That's why I'm thankful for Chromium. The fact they release a major version every few weeks with no major changes kind of changes your perception about versioning. Versioning should be nothing besides a tool to mark that something is different from something else.

Comment

Originally posted by susikala View Post
        Numbers mean shit. Software developers increment them either according to the size of their ego or to some random number generator.
        The numbers mean shit because someone decided to do away with the stable/unstable branch development and turn everyone crazy/foolish enough to run the mainline kernel into beta testers.

Comment

Originally posted by oliw View Post
          Agree completely. The Phoronix page-juicing, link maze is horrible.
          Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
          I completely agree.
          Originally posted by Kazade View Post
          Michael, any chance we can get some links to the sources without having to fumble through several other Phoronix posts to get to them? Cheers.

P.S. It would be amazing if external links were a different colour, like blue or something!
          I think Phoronix should have a "News Wiki" where internal citation and external citation become ONE. That way citation becomes simple and we're more likely to trust in what we're reading.

Problem is, some kind of site map would have to be created in order for it to work effectively. I bet that keeping track of all those links must get complex.

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
          That's because of the driver model that makes IDE/SATA drives appear like SCSI devices
          That would have to be the most frustrating part of the current Kernel. It drives me mad that SCSI is somehow related to SATA and without it the OS fails to boot. Grr... Why the hell they didn't fix that some time ago has me confuddled.

So I can't wait for that spring clean. Linus has long complained about bloat in the Kernel and it might do some good to remove a couple of hundred thousand lines of code.
          Last edited by b15hop; 26 May 2011, 04:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X