Mono Developers Go Bye-Bye From Attachmate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by movieman View Post
    Why would Microsoft want it to be a viable cross platform solution? They make money on Windows, not C# compilers.
    Actually, they make a shit load off of C# development tools (Visual Studio ain't free, you know.... well, the Express edition is, but it sucks compared to paid for versions), and Visual Studio w/ Mono is a great way to deploy .NET on a server platform that isn't crap.

Comment

Do you know of anyone who actually uses Mono ASP.NET? The whole thing just smells bad to me.

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
        Actually, they make a shit load off of C# development tools (Visual Studio ain't free, you know.... well, the Express edition is, but it sucks compared to paid for versions), and Visual Studio w/ Mono is a great way to deploy .NET on a server platform that isn't crap.
        They make nothing on Visual Studio compared to what they make on Windows. Having everyone take their Windows apps and run them on another OS would be Microsoft's nightmare, not their dream.

If Microsoft were supporting Mono, it's because they wanted to use it to undermine Linux, not because they want to sell Visual Studio to Linux developers.

BTW, I was using the Express Edition for years and didn't notice any real problems with it. I haven't touched Windows development in a couple of years though.

Comment

They make nothing on Visual Studio compared to what they make on Windows. Having everyone take their Windows apps and run them on another OS would be Microsoft's nightmare, not their dream.

If Microsoft were supporting Mono, it's because they wanted to use it to undermine Linux, not because they want to sell Visual Studio to Linux developers.

BTW, I was using the Express Edition for years and didn't notice any real problems with it. I haven't touched Windows development in a couple of years though.
          Almost none of the code you generate in Visual Studio runs on Mono. Mono implements the base libraries but none of the Systems.Windows.Forms libraries (well, legally). GTK# is a completely different beast. The only code you can realistically write in Visual Studio are console apps or dlls.

Comment

I can think of one thing

Originally posted by wswartzendruber View Post
            Do you know of anyone who actually uses Mono ASP.NET? The whole thing just smells bad to me.
            not on ASP.NET but Mono. Unity Game engine runs on Mono and is doing quite well. Granted your games wont' run on Linux but it runs on Mac and Windows. With special licencing, it also runs on Android, iOS, Wii, PS3, XBox360. It also only supports .net languages like Jscript (ms javascript), C#, and Boo.

Comment

Again, I think they accepted Mono because the cross platform ability it offered helped them compete against Java, and by not extending the 'community promise' to the Microsoft compability stack (windows forms, ado, asp) they would still be able to demand licencing for using those parts of .NET somewhere down the line should C#/.NET make it big on non-windows platforms.

Well, maybe there's more things lacking in the express versions, but I know that they've crippled it as far as optimizations goes, Profile Guided optimization and Link Time optimization is not available in the express versions, same goes for openmp support.

Comment

What is with these idiotic mono-hating trolls everywhere? Its just pathetic.

Comment

Reading through other sources on the web, as I wanted to get a better overall picture...

Attachmate is going to be re-focusing the SuSE Linux-related assets back to Nuremberg (Germany). That's where it will be HQ'ed.

As a result of this change, a number of US-based employees will lose their jobs. This just happens to involve a number working on Mono. eg: Miguel de Icaza is based in Boston, Massachusetts.

Its up to the management team at Nuremberg to decide if Mono is worth continuing under them. (Maybe Mono development continues in Europe?...I guess that would be good, as software patents are viewed very differently over there.)

As for Mono itself, I don't develop cross-platform .Net apps, so I really have no comment on that solution.

Comment

Originally posted by XorEaxEax View Post
                    Again, I think they accepted Mono because the cross platform ability it offered helped them compete against Java, and by not extending the 'community promise' to the Microsoft compability stack (windows forms, ado, asp) they would still be able to demand licencing for using those parts of .NET somewhere down the line should C#/.NET make it big on non-windows platforms.
                    Yes, it was a marketing thing. At the time, a Java marketing point was that it was implemented everywhere, that you weren't tied to a specific company, and that you could write software once and have it work everywhere else. MS didn't want to support a Linux port themselves, but they were happy to allow others to partially support it as it let them tick the checkbox for marketing while still allowing them to claim that you should buy Windows for best results. The same thing happened with Silverlight/Moonlight. Flash's big advantage was that it was installed everywhere, and people were worried about being locked into just Windows - or even just IE. Moonlight allowed MS to argue that Silverlight could be run anywhere Flash could, and simultaneously they could make sure their own implementation integrated best into Windows and IE.

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
                      What is with these idiotic mono-hating trolls everywhere? Its just pathetic.
                      I won't be empathizing you when you get your ass sued to a pile of mishmash by Microsoft when you created your entire business based on Mono. Mono is evil, just get over it. No matter how hard you try, it is still based on a corporation that tries to kill you all the time.

Lay off all Mono devs, lol good! I like it! Now you mono devs can kiss your ass good bye for 'doing the wrong thing'.

Comment

Working...
                      X