Mono Developers Go Bye-Bye From Attachmate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by locovaca View Post
    What does QT or Swing have that is not able to be accomplished with those base classes?
    Complex layouts in 5 lines of code.

Comment

• Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      Complex layouts in 5 lines of code.
      Examples? All complex layouts can be broken down to simpler layouts.

There's plenty that can be done in C# with one or two lines of code that require many more lines (or is impossible) in other languages. Every language has that.

Comment

There's plenty that can be done in C# with one or two lines of code that require many more lines (or is impossible) in other languages. Every language has that.
        Yeah, but for GUIs, Qt is really top-notch. You wanted an example, so here is one:

Show me one .Net layout class that goes to such lengths in looking 100% platform native on KDE, Gnome, Windows, Mac OS X. Even differences in such details as spacing between items, text alignment, etc, are respected.

Comment

This is an example from one of my current projects.
          A layout such as this, while pretty simple, is hard to do in .NET Forms.

EDIT: And yes, all this is you see here is laid out by the layouts.
          Nothing is manually positioned.

Comment

• Originally posted by RealNC View Post
            Yeah, but for GUIs, Qt is really top-notch. You wanted an example, so here is one:

Show me one .Net layout class that goes to such lengths in looking 100% platform native on KDE, Gnome, Windows, Mac OS X. Even differences in such details as spacing between items, text alignment, etc, are respected.
            Well, since WinForms is only used on... Windows, no, it does not contain classes to adapt to whatever OS it is running on. If that's a negative of WinForms layouts then by all means run the flag up the pole for QT. That's a pretty standard TableLayoutPanel in WinForms. Do you have to set each label's alignment individually? Yes. Is it painful? No, not really, especially with Visual Studio (Select all the labels and set the property once). I could go the GTK route and claim that because there's more steps involved it's actually more powerful, but I won't.

I never said QT is bad. I wouldn't choose it if I were targeting Windows only, but if I were coding in C++ and looking to do something cross platform it would be a good solution. On the other hand, if someone were to create a C#/Mono Wrapper for QT like they have with GTK you could have something like that available to the Mono community. That would really help Mono. While GTK# is... "nice", it's still GTK at its core.

Comment

• Originally posted by Znurre View Post
              http://ompldr.org/vOGtlOA/qtdesigner.png

This is an example from one of my current projects.
              A layout such as this, while pretty simple, is hard to do in .NET Forms.

EDIT: And yes, all this is you see here is laid out by the layouts.
              Nothing is manually positioned.
              I see a table layout with 4 group boxes and a table layout in each group box, in .Net terms. That's not overly complex.

Comment

I see a table layout with 4 group boxes and a table layout in each group box, in .Net terms. That's not overly complex.
                No, I said this was relatively simple.
                Yet, although it is easy to describe in ".NET terms", doing the actual work is way more time consuming and the end result will usually not be as pixel perfect, since you end up doing a lot of manual adjustments.

Comment

Try testing the effect of different DPI system settings on WinForms. The result is not pretty.

Comment

• Originally posted by dufoli View Post
                    fed up of anti-mono trolls....

Have you ever try QT/GTK/Winforms.
                    I use GTK because I have too to be integrated in gnome but GTK is far more complicated and less designed than Winforms.

I play a lot with mono/banshee/monotorrent/... and mono/.Net Framework is well designed.
                    I figured you were going to say that. That's what all these Mono zealots have in coming, they're too much in love with MS tech. Most of them are trained monkeys with no culture and no talent, and probably have some boring office job coding in Visual Studio and C# all day thinking it's all 'da bomb'.

So then when they come to Linux they go all eww that's all disgusting cannot adept, must use MS tech. It's like the guy eating McDonald's shit throughout the year and then when he's taken to a proper restaurant he doesn't appreciate the food because he's so used to his McDonald's crap. So next time he's invited to a proper restaurant he brings his own burgers with him.

I'm sorry but you don't do that. Go back to McDonald's or Microsoft if you're in love with burgers or MS tech, we don't need you and we don't want you here. We've gotta have standards.

Comment

• Originally posted by Znurre View Post
                      No, I said this was relatively simple.
                      Yet, although it is easy to describe in ".NET terms", doing the actual work is way more time consuming and the end result will usually not be as pixel perfect, since you end up doing a lot of manual adjustments.
                      No, you don't do manual adjustments. Everything gets Docked to fill the entire space, all tables have the same margins.

I could have the basic layout done in 5 minutes.

Comment

Working...
                      X