No announcement yet.

Linux Kernel Boot Statistics: 2.6.24 To 2.6.39

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep, echoing Q and others. Even if we had perfect suspend, why the heck use 1-10W when it can be completely off at 0W?

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
      you can save 100-200? per year if you shutdown your computer more often than your 1 peer week.

now calculate this for an company with 10 000 computers.

10 000* 100? = 1 000 000-2 000 000?

means shutdown and start speed is business critical.

not for your business? maybe you give a fuck about 200? per year per pc.. but other people care.
      Saved electicity is nothing when compared to enhanced productivity.
      A fully productive development workstation needs 5 to 10 minutes from power off.
      It takes a few seconds (to enter the screen saver password) on a powered on PC.
      Can you compare the cost savings?
      Moreover, saving 15 to 30 seconds a day in boot times doesn't seem to be of any real value. You loose much more in looking for a park place in the morning!

Comment

Originally posted by Uqbar View Post
        Saved electicity is nothing when compared to enhanced productivity.
        A fully productive development workstation needs 5 to 10 minutes from power off.
        It takes a few seconds (to enter the screen saver password) on a powered on PC.
        Can you compare the cost savings?
        Moreover, saving 15 to 30 seconds a day in boot times doesn't seem to be of any real value. You loose much more in looking for a park place in the morning!
        You're contradicting yourself; clearly if you have a boot time of 15s, 5 to 10 minutes is not wasted, it's 15s.

Comment

You get that bootspeed only with a minimal system. Every partition you mount via fstab and every system service you run will affect boot speed. When you don't use network-manager but for example debian and /etc/network/interfaces in order to mount network shares in fstab then that will take much longer too as it waits for the dhcp (using the auto eth0 statement, allow-hotplug eth0 would not wait). You can use those minimal configs easyly on pure clients or laptops but when it is a server it can certainly boot 60s or longer (depending on speed).

Comment

kernel linux are cool , mostly because they have a lot of drivers .
            that should explain why the x86 is getting very "slow"

kernel should be able to "slim" itself , may be with the use of a new config.sys.linux file [ it was cool with dos to set some loadhigh region ...] .
            i mean that kernel should not try to load pcmcia drivers at each boot if there are none .

may be you can build kernel for your pc , like that , and then rebench

Comment

The whole "boot up speed is not necessary" argument is getting old.
              Arguments like these only show how little we know about people.

Of course is important. It's a critical feature. Normal users boot the systems one or two times a day (or more). Maybe you don't care but most people care. It's the first thing one user notices about a system.
              Don't think on current Linux users. We're mostly geeks, and maybe don't care about that feature. Think on future Linux users.

No wonder why we have ~1% market share.

Comment

Originally posted by DeiF View Post
                The whole "boot up speed is not necessary" argument is getting old.
                Arguments like these only show how little we know about people.

Of course is important. It's a critical feature. Normal users boot the systems one or two times a day (or more). Maybe you don't care but most people care. It's the first thing one user notices about a system.
                Don't think on current Linux users. We're mostly geeks, and maybe don't care about that feature. Think on future Linux users.

No wonder why we have ~1% market share.
                Exactly. A 3sec boot time would be a *huge* selling point for a system and great stride towards the "computers as appliances" model. Google understands that - and this is exactly what will sell ChromeOS to the average user (open it and it just works, no thumb twiddling necessary).

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                  Exactly. A 3sec boot time would be a *huge* selling point for a system
                  Not really. I don't I have heard once in my life anybody buy a computer with one of their criteria questions being "How fast does it boot?" Realistically anything that is not overly long (minute+ boot) most people are satisfied with. It is far more important to have a proper sleep functioning.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                    Not really. I don't I have heard once in my life anybody buy a computer with one of their criteria questions being "How fast does it boot?" Realistically anything that is not overly long (minute+ boot) most people are satisfied with. It is far more important to have a proper sleep functioning.
                    If you could reliably cold boot (with or without hibernation) in 3 seconds would you ever choose to sleep instead? Sleep is nothing but a workaround for slow boot times.

The ultimate goal of the OS should be to get out of the way. Fast, unobtrusive booting is a large part of that goal.

Comment

Fake edit: for what it's worth, fast booting is the first thing I look for in any new motherboard or laptop I buy. If it takes 10'' to discover disk devices, I simply won't buy it.

Comment

Working...
                      X