No announcement yet.

Systemd Is Now One Year Old; Why You Should Use It

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been using systemd on openSUSE for months and I had zero issues.
    Just did "zypper install systemd" and everything was automatically installed and configured.

Originally posted by curaga View Post
    It's the _init_. It should _not_ depend on anything else, especially not another daemon.
    But other solutions depend on other things too (e.g. the bash interpreter). Those dependencies can break too.

Comment

Pulse Audio, Pulse Audio, Pulse Audio... What soundcards are you using? File a damn bug report... Out of all the soundcards I have been using it works without a problem. Some had stuttering the first two Ubuntu releases, but that's it. All fixed...

Now because dbus is, you know, aupported all over the place and generic, the only constant in operating the computer is the IPC traffic. Traffic is bufferable and doesn't crash itself, so systemd can track processes and restart it, even d-bus itself.

So what's the freaking problem? Gallium sucks because it's not 100% stable or something?

Progress... inconceivable!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
        Pulse Audio, Pulse Audio, Pulse Audio... What soundcards are you using? File a damn bug report... Out of all the soundcards I have been using it works without a problem.
        With Pulse Audio I have experience many various issues with various AzeilaHD, Cmedia 8788, Cmedia 8738's, Soundblaster Audigy 2zs, Soundblaster X-Fi Titaniums, M-Audio Revo (ICE 1724) and Chaintech AV-710's. In every single one of those cases the resolution to fixing the audio issues were to remove pulse audio and then they worked as expected.

Comment

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
          I don't know where anyone got the perception that either D-Bus or systemd are somehow geared for the desktop, designed for desktop use cases, designed for fast boot performance at the expense of bloat, or designed to benefit desktops while slowing down servers.
          Well, that's easy to explain - because that's what they were built for. D-Bus came out of Hal development, and general work on improving hardware integration with the desktop. And fast boot time was one of the drivers behind systemd - indeed, it's pretty much the only thing Lennart talked about in his original announcement.

That's not to say they're not useful for server environments too - I've been looking closely at systemd lately for it's support for managing daemon monitoring and fallover - but it's simply untrue to say they weren't designed primarily with desktop use in mind.

Comment

For what it's worth, I am a happy PulseAudio user.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
              I didn't say it wasn't still maintained, I fixed a couple of bugs myself the other day, but it seems to have lost momentum since Roy left. Having said that, I still think it's fairly feature-complete, it's just lacking some of the modern extras that systemd has like a D-Bus interface, path-based activation (inotify) and PolicyKit integration.
              +ondemand daemon loading/unloading, +parallelized start/stop, +speed aware dependency resolve.

Comment

@deanjo,
                Everybody know that soundblasters are a source of problems after Creative bought it. Google Slashdot for it and see the outcries. It has caused me massive headaches on both Windows and Linux. I then replaced them with a Cmedia soundcard which since WinXP service pack 2 has caused me nothing but grief. It has worked on Linux but then it died. A friend of mine had the same card and wanted to thwor it away so I tried that one. Also pain in the ass.

For the other cards I don't know. Cards that did worked have been Intel HD audio, RaLink (or something: those blue Windows driver icons) and countles onboard soundcards from the Pentium 2 days all the way to now.

Also, I have to wonder why you would need an X-Fi, other than for Windows gaming or Windows studio appliences for recording audio. 128kHz is totaly BS for audio playback. If you want analog audio LP experience buy a Coolermaster light bulb transistor to round of the aliasing edges for about $20 or something. Make sure to also not boost your volume to the max and buy analog speakers with three seperat speakers in the box that have circuitry to seperate mid, high and low frequencies and your sound is golden

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                  Everybody know that soundblasters are a source of problems after Creative bought it.
                  LOL, Creative didn't bought Sound Blaster, they created it!

Comment

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
                    LOL, Creative didn't bought Sound Blaster, they created it!
                    He may be confused with the E-mu and Ensoniq acquisitions.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                      With Pulse Audio I have experience many various issues with various AzeilaHD, Cmedia 8788, Cmedia 8738's, Soundblaster Audigy 2zs, Soundblaster X-Fi Titaniums, M-Audio Revo (ICE 1724) and Chaintech AV-710's. In every single one of those cases the resolution to fixing the audio issues were to remove pulse audio and then they worked as expected.
                      i have a xfi hd from auz3n , with fedora 14 it plays only stereo despite i use Digital Output / S/PDIF .
                      do you think i would get 5.1 if i remove pulse audio ?

what kind of command line i should use ?

Comment

Working...
                      X