Mobile Users Beware: Linux Has Major Power Regression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    A "mess" that works > "neat but non-functional". That my friend is what "the real world" is.
    Deanjo stop with this os x bullshit. It loses with Linux badly in many areas, so praising it's doubtful advantages won't help.

Comment

I think it could be related to that bug:

https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=29842

Comment

similar bug

It could be related to this regression.

Comment

Originally posted by crumja View Post
          Historically, power consumption has always been a problem with the linux kernel. Developers either aren't in tune with user demands (probably because they sit at desktops all day long or buy extra extended batteries to use with their Thinkpads, which are the only notebook any one of them would even consider) or just don't think of it as high priority (again, reflecting the enterprise slant of development efforts).
          Note that power consumption IS very important to enterprises. Data centers are generally limited by power consumption, not space or money to buy equipment. A 10% decrease in power consumption leads to 10% more CPUs under the same building, which leads to profit.

Comment

dedicate a couple release cycles to power management

I seriously believe that Linus should consider dedicating a couple of kernel release cycles to power management alone. Almost entirely accept only patches that tackle directly or indirectly power consumption issues, on all fronts. Make it also fun, with a 'Love mother Earth' or such tag line/theme. And what a better time to do so that this year, celebrating 20 years of Linux!

It is equally important for distributions to focus on power as well. I think Fedora is now making an active move in that directions with power-test liveCDs and such.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
              Deanjo stop with this os x bullshit. It loses with Linux badly in many areas, so praising it's doubtful advantages won't help.
              Kraftman it isn't BS. It is just plain fact. OS X beats linux in many areas as well and in the case of power management it has had an implementation that has worked properly going back to the original Mac. It took years for even microsoft to come up with decent power management. With Win 7 they have finally worked on it enough that it is finally usable. It is no secret that linux has shitty power management and has been a sore point for a long time. It's to bad that you get so offended by reality.

Comment

Originally posted by igor1st View Post

It could be related to this regression.
                Mhm not for me. I'm running the nvidia blob, and frequency scaling and temperatures of the GPU seem the same as before. Btw, as Micheal suspects it's on an intel system (Calpella).

Comment

Originally posted by not.sure View Post
                  Mhm not for me. I'm running the nvidia blob, and frequency scaling and temperatures of the GPU seem the same as before. Btw, as Micheal suspects it's on an intel system (Calpella).
                  Right, it's not related to that... I think I have it narrowed down to one of two items. Hope to know for sure shortly.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                    Btw. it doesn't seem Android has some power management problems, so I wonder if os x does pm better.
                    Umm ya ok, thats why many Android devices out there have "wake up" issues.

Comment

Maybe this is really a real problem...

Whoa!
                      After doing a very basic test in my working laptop with powertop, I found I'm having significantly more wakeups-from-idle per second with 2.6.38 (about 230) than with 2.6.35 (about 170). This means my CPU is waking up from idle more 26% than before! It's a significant difference...

I did my test only with my computer booted in OpenBox (without any programs loaded).

Btw, my laptop doesn't seem hotter with 2.6.38 than with 2.6.35, but more wakeups-from-idle per second means my CPU is spending more power...

Cheers

p.s.: I hope the kernel devs fix this problem in 2.6.39...

Comment

Working...
                      X