Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Would Be Disastrous For Linux, Open-Source

Phoronix: What Would Be Disastrous For Linux, Open-Source

Rather than doing any April Fools' Jokes around here (the GNOME project is claiming GNOME 3.0 has been delayed to September), yesterday and today we're looking at a few different headlines that would cause great impact for Linux. Yesterday was looking at what announcements would greatly benefit Linux along with the community's response, but today we're looking at what would cause great harm and be disastrous to Linux and open-source software...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Stop it!

Hey, stop giving Monopoly hints! They are getting rather creative lately (see antitrust lawsuit against Google in EU)...

(there was sarcasm somewhere)

Comment

The US government begins taxing open-source software. It's actually not as crazy as it sounds and could actually happen.
      You'd be surprised, but the Open Source world is a little larger than one Country

Now, here is one disastrous scenario: MS keeps buying folks from our camp, like they did with Miguel de Icaza. They do have the cash, after all.

Comment

Originally posted by mendieta View Post
        Now, here is one disastrous scenario: MS keeps buying folks from our camp, like they did with Miguel de Icaza. They do have the cash, after all.
        Miguel never had to be bought. He's always wanted to be a Microsoftie, and probably still does.

Comment

people HAVE to make a descent living and you have to be in a position where you can't in order to understand/justify other peoples "weird" choices.

[off topic]
          on other news (that will probably make Michael sad):

AUgustiner Brewery filed for bankruptcy 2 days ago and ceases production.

source:http://www.spiegel.de/ (near the bottom)

Comment

Linux Being Property

1.Linux would be striped from GPL and will be releasing with a property licence

2. Linus is dead(though it should not impact a lot and would be happened sometimes but kernel developing will surely hammpered)

3. Canoncial goes to commercialized their distribution and ubuntu is not free anymore(at least desktop linux will get a big shock)

4.ATI/NVIDIA stop releasing driver for linux; nor open-source nor binary-blob(this single thing will cause to halfing the overall linux share)

5. Phoronix is stoped(I will loose my daily linux news and benchmarks source)

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
              [off topic]
              on other news (that will probably make Michael sad):

AUgustiner Brewery filed for bankruptcy 2 days ago and ceases production.

source:http://www.spiegel.de/ (near the bottom)
              Your April Fools' prank, right? I read Der Spiegel everyday and don't recall seeing such... But I nearly choked on my coffee right now when reading this....
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                Your April Fools' prank, right? I read Der Spiegel everyday and don't recall seeing such... But I nearly choked on my coffee right now when reading this....

it was more than obvious i think

Comment

Aren't you fogetting...

Killer Penguins From Outer Space?!?!?!?!

Comment

Patent trolls would only kill Canonical, RedHat and other commercial stuff. Linux itself would not even notice that...the only thing that would happen is, that most distributions change their server location to another country.

the worst thing that could possible happen? Linus Torvald dies. I don't know what would happen after his death. Guess we would all go back to minix

Comment

Working...
                    X