What Would Be Crazy For Linux Right Now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by devius View Post
    Since my move to linux I started using OpenOffice/LibreOffice and I still can't find any advantage on the microsoft suite. What am I missing?
    Interoperability with other MS users, mostly - OpenOffice can open MS documents, but it's not perfectly compatible. We've had to standardise on MS Office at work, because co-existance was proving too much trouble, and migrating the rest of the world wasn't an option.

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
      Well I bought the ATI for their "pro open-source ideas", just shoot me.
      In that case you'd be better off with Intel graphics, as for video decoding.

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
        Interoperability with other MS users, mostly - OpenOffice can open MS documents, but it's not perfectly compatible. We've had to standardise on MS Office at work, because co-existance was proving too much trouble, and migrating the rest of the world wasn't an option.
        LibreOffice and MSO2007 work with ODF. Tested.
        LibreOffice does NOT have to open MSO documents. They are NOT standard.

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
          Well I bought the ATI for their "pro open-source ideas", just shoot me.
          Shoot me too!

U know, .. we should put our names on the list.. for ease...

Comment

• Steve Ballmer officially announces "Winix", a GPLv3 licensed Windows 7 runtime enviroment for Linux
            • Steve Jobs says "sorry for bashing Android", donates one iPhone 4 to every Android developer
            • Linus Torvalds announces Linux kernel 2.7, includes Wayland as a module
            • Intel announces Gallium3D "i915g" driver, carries VDPAU support and seamless PowerXpress integration
            • Dick Cheney accidentally shoots the Internet kill switch
            • AMD gives away free gaming laptops to all Phoronix forum members
            • VIA promises "a plan to stick to our plans"
            • Google acquires Nokia, banishes WP7 from entire model line up

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
              Apple users stop saying what's good for Linux - not everything is constructive criticism in the link you gave. There's a lot of bull. I won't blame Linux, because nvidia and amd makes crappy drivers or because not everyone wants to use crap like gstreamer etc. Very strange point of view. Shall we continue?
              Lol, common packaging, settling on common api's, fixing the basics of audio and video is bull? FYI there is just as much 'crap' in foss as there is in closed.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                LibreOffice does NOT have to open MSO documents. They are NOT standard.
                It is not a ISO standard.

It is however a the most adopted standard (def: an established norm).

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                  It is not a ISO standard.

It is however a the most adopted standard (def: an established norm).
                  What? Where is that postulated? Established norm is when its a)open b)used by multitude of applications c)on multitude of systems. Take .WAV file, for example. Or .TXT.

Which relation does MSO and windows-only .DOCX has to them exactly?

It is established among MSO users, because they don't really have the choice(or need it) - but it is not the definition of "interoperability". ODF works and is WAY better than .RTF.

Comment

You forget this!.. http://www.calculate-linux.ru/blogs/ru/232/show !

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                      Lol, common packaging, settling on common api's, fixing the basics of audio and video is bull? FYI there is just as much 'crap' in foss as there is in closed.
                      Those are actually good points.

Comment

Working...
                      X