What Would Be Crazy For Linux Right Now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dcc24 View Post
    Well, I have a Core i3 300M CPU (the lowest possible i series CPU) and an HD4330 GPU (one of the cheapest, low performance cards) and using the open source drivers (no, not even catalyst) I have a perfect, lag and tear free 1080p playback. So I think you are having some configuration issues.
    yes it's not normal. I can play 1080p without problem (C2D E2160/RV770). I can also play 720p on XP2500+/768 Mo/Radeon 9800 Pro.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      Linux users stop calling anybody that differs with their view trolls and can withstand constructive criticism.
      Linux users stop blaming others for their OS's shortcomings.
      Apple users stop saying what's good for Linux - not everything is constructive criticism in the link you gave. There's a lot of bull. I won't blame Linux, because nvidia and amd makes crappy drivers or because not everyone wants to use crap like gstreamer etc. Very strange point of view. Shall we continue?

Comment

I always thought it made a lot of sense for Adobe to start moving out of Apple's clutches, by porting CS to a custom linux distro (possibly based on RHEL or SEL, like Maya did), with support for a limited number of hardware configurations.

I'm sure there are quite a few others who hate OS X, and the exorbitant Apple tax on the platform, don't trust Apple's imminent plans for the desktop space (like CS will run on some iOS mutation that panders to pop-culture techno-dweebs), and who would rather up their software investment instead of going broke on shiny designer boxes with bog-standard x86 guts.

By the same token, Apple would be wise to top blocking clones through legal force and stupid drm tricks. Then they might start to build some serious pc market share. I guess we'll probably have to wait for St. Steve to croak for that to happen...

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
          Some other "crazy" linux headlines.

Linux resolves all issues presented in the "Why Desktop Linux (still) Sucks and What We Can Do to Fix It"

http://lunduke.com/wp-content/upload...sucks-2010.odp
          Sorry, I don't have OpenOffice or an .odp viewer. If you want to disseminate information to us Linux users, you're going to have to post plain text.

Comment

- MSFT fcksup and fills in bankruptcy.

- AMD decides to launch a program "Hire the Desire" writing on major distribution forums. Program gathers huge sum of money - enough to hire 1000 developers for opensource driver for next 2 years.

- Intel launches CPU/GPU modules and replaces the usual socket for cpu with CPU/GPU modules sync&control chip (Athlon Slot A style).

Comment

Dell and Canonical announce Unity Tablet
              Ubuntu becomes Debian GNU/Linux Desktop
              Debian GNU/MINIX is announced
              Linux reaches 5% market share
              Microsoft makes ODF primary format in Office 2012
              Microsoft implements WebGL and WebM in IE10
              Freedom Box gets government funding
              Canonical starts Fund One Project A Year project
              OpenGL patents are invalidated
              Gaddafi claims the Moon and declares it an open source-only area

Comment

Originally posted by Detructor View Post
                • an aposid gnome version...yeh, that would be cool. (or just a .deb based rolling-release distribution).
                http://cut.debian.net/ - Debian based rolling release is in the works.

Comment

Netflix and iTunes

The things I am missing most in Linux are media related. Netflix streaming and iTunes would be enough to make me happy. Not that I like iTunes, but I love my iPod Touch.

Comment

Am I the only one who thinks that wishing for a linux port of Microsoft Office doesn't make much sense? I've used it since it wasn't even office, and everything had to be bought separately (word and excel 5.0 maybe?). Since my move to linux I started using OpenOffice/LibreOffice and I still can't find any advantage on the microsoft suite. What am I missing?

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
                      Am I the only one who thinks that wishing for a linux port of Microsoft Office doesn't make much sense? I've used it since it wasn't even office, and everything had to be bought separately (word and excel 5.0 maybe?). Since my move to linux I started using OpenOffice/LibreOffice and I still can't find any advantage on the microsoft suite. What am I missing?
                      Complex legacy MS Office documents. People need to upgrade to Office 2010 and start using a proper standard like ODF, so that Office and LibreOffice can interoperate.

Comment

Working...
                      X