Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Large HDD/SSD Linux 2.6.38 File-System Comparison

Phoronix: Large HDD/SSD Linux 2.6.38 File-System Comparison

Here are the results from our largest Linux file-system comparison to date. Using the soon-to-be-released Linux 2.6.38 kernel, on a SATA hard drive and solid-state drive, we benchmarked seven file-systems on each drive with the latest kernel code as of this past weekend. The tested file-systems include EXT3, EXT4, Btrfs, XFS, JFS, ReiserFS, and NILFS2.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

BTRFS sucks for most relevant benchmarks - SQL

Why does BTRFS suck so much for the SQL benchmark that matter most to desktop users (ie. can be directly traced to the performance of firefox's website database)?

Comment

Ext3 has barrier=0 as default? Really? Seems strange.

Isn't that a distro-specific thing, though, default mount options?

Comment

I'm not sure if the inclusion of a plain HDD was per my request, but either way, thanks. The results were similar on some tests, but also very different on some others, so I think it's a good idea to keep doing it.

(I would assume the ones where the differences were greatest are the most seek-heavy workloads, which also seem like the ones it's most important to optimize in the mechanical HDD case.)

Comment

I get confused about all these different benchmarks. Is there a description of all the profiles somewhere? The names of the benchmarks are certainly not very descriptive. For example, for me the main factors in IO performance are:

1) Random write/read of small files (this is 90% operations of a desktop user).
          2) Sequential write/read speed (you are copying/moving files)
          3) Parallel sequential write/read speed (you are copying two big files at once -- ideally the combined speed should be the same as (2), but in reality it is often much lower)

Which benchmarks do I need to peruse to find out how the filesystems do in the described workloads?

Comment

Originally posted by loonyphoenix View Post
            I get confused about all these different benchmarks. Is there a description of all the profiles somewhere?
            OpenBenchmarking.org, Phoronix Test Suite, Linux benchmarking, automated benchmarking, benchmarking results, benchmarking repository, open source benchmarking, benchmarking test profiles
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Thanks! (character limit...)

Comment

ext3 always was, always will be, optizimed for benchmarks with default settings.

These default settings are completely idiotic. They risk the data of the user. But that does not count. For ext3 devs it is more important to have good numbers when somebody does a standard test without leveling the field via mount options.

Now, turn on barriers for everybody and see ext3 die a slow death.

Comment

Thanks for finally including JFS. It's surprisingly fast on a SSD.

Comment

On CentOS and according to the ext4 doc, the mount option 'discard' is off by default and should probably be turned on for SSD testing to take advantage of TRIM support.

Comment

Working...
                    X