• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crazycheese
    replied
    Originally posted by devsk View Post
    CS101 - p->q doesn't mean q->p....:-D
    Its a flaw in classic logic related, invented by humans, its a flaw that was missused by sophists many times. As well as sharp 1/0 without third state or analogous variability, ie you either breath in or breath out, nothing inbetween.

Reiser4 was clearly heavily sabotaged, as it would bring huge advantage to linux. Hans has made two mistakes - married an opportunistic woman and lost the situation out of his control. I heard the system is usable, but it is lobbied by RedHat for whatever reason, and only russian developer,himself not very much interested, patches it for every new kernel. The only problems I heard were loosing data integrity(? don't know if its resolved) and mounting the system with image of this or other reiser4 system residing on that disk in form of file. The system itself should be (much) more advanced than btrfs itself.

Very sad indeed.

Leave a comment:

• Ex-Cyber
    replied
    Originally posted by devsk View Post

At least know basic computer science when you talk about computers.
    It doesn't matter which way you read it; neither one usefully substantiates the reliability of a filesystem.

Leave a comment:

• devsk
    replied
    Originally posted by drag View Post
    I've never lost a byte to Linux's vfat either and it's extremely fast. Does that mean it's as good as Reiserfs?

At least know basic computer science when you talk about computers.

Leave a comment:

• ayumu
    replied
    I'm not aware of any such filesystem.

Oh. I hope you don't mean ext4 or btrfs. You can't be serious.

I've never lost a byte to Linux's vfat either and it's extremely fast. Does that mean it's as good as Reiserfs?

Because it's been under development since 2004 and is still in -mm tree, while a much sophisticated file system exists in the mainline kernel with far more development resources and organizations backing it.

Leave a comment:

• drag
    replied
    It's got legendary reliability: I've never lost a byte to it. I was even able to recover a lot of data from a ddrescued HD which failed pretty heavily on the hardware side of things, with only a few portions of the disk being readable.

It's on -mm, pending only on porting it to some non-reiser4-related-but-useful Linux vfs improvements which afaik aren't finished yet.
    How is it DOA? Care to explain?
    Because it's been under development since 2004 and is still in -mm tree, while a much sophisticated file system exists in the mainline kernel with far more development resources and organizations backing it.

Leave a comment:

• ayumu
    replied
    Reiser4 is DOA.
    • Its current website is: https://reiser4.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Main_Page
    • It's been ready for years.
    • It's fast: https://reiser4.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Benchmarks
    • I've used it for years and it gives me awesome performance.
    • It's got legendary reliability: I've never lost a byte to it. I was even able to recover a lot of data from a ddrescued HD which failed pretty heavily on the hardware side of things, with only a few portions of the disk being readable.
    • It's on -mm, pending only on porting it to some non-reiser4-related-but-useful Linux vfs improvements which afaik aren't finished yet.

How is it DOA? Care to explain?

Leave a comment:

• drag
    replied
    Originally posted by ayumu View Post
    As usual, reiser4 is missing.

Saddens me.
    Reiser4 is DOA.

Leave a comment:

• Nevertime
    replied
    didnt past benchmarks show huge improvments in btfs performonce when compression was swched on?

Leave a comment:

• ayumu
    replied
    reiser4?

As usual, reiser4 is missing.

Saddens me.

Leave a comment:

• illissius
    replied
    I'd really appreciate it if you could use old-fashioned mechanical disks for benchmarking at least half of the time. Considerably more people have them than SSDs, and the performance profiles are vastly different -- results measured with one have almost no relevance to the other. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X