X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ?John?
    replied
    Originally posted by Thatguy View Post
    the burden of phone support will fal to microsoft. This will save the Phone makers money.
    Do you have any credible source to prove this or am I supposed to just take your word for it? Anyway - assuming it works, this would most likely be an extremely short term deal.

They likely just wants the APP/GAME market and are willing to give away the OS and support for free to the phone makers to get it.
    Again - that may be so, but you can bet your ass it won't stay that way for long and eventually they're definitely gonna start charging everyone outrageous license fees and at least try pushing the support burden to the OEMs, because that's what they always do after they manage to achieve critical mass.

Henry Ford was once qouted as saying.

"I'd gladly give the car away for free if I could be guaranteed all of the future sales for parts"

I couldn't find the exact qoute but its basically the same thing.
    I'm familiar with the infamous drug-dealer strategy: first dose is usually free - at least under the circumstances that make other policies unlikely to succeed.

I have nothing else to say except that there's only one way to find out - let's just wait and see how the whole thing pans out.

Leave a comment:

• Thatguy
    replied
    Originally posted by ?John? View Post
    Assuming M$ uses the same OEM model for smart phones as it does for desktops, then the one who will have to bear the whole burden of providing people with technical support is gonna be the phone makers. That's hardly very cost effective, so it sounds like we have a tie between both systems in question here.

If you intend to imply that Android has trouble integrating with existing ICT infrastructure, then you're terribly misinformed. Everything that a user of such device cares about can be easily configured to seamlessly synchronize with both company's Exchange server and/or any other machine out there using user's Google account.
    Considering I deal with actuall IT people on a dialy basis. I can assure you its not that easy nor is it that simple.

the burden of phone support will fal to microsoft. This will save the Phone makers money.

Phone makers will do whatever is in the interest of the bottom line. The truth is this is where microsoft may wield a massive advantage.

They likely just wants the APP/GAME market and are willing to give away the OS and support for free to the phone makers to get it.

Henry Ford was once qouted as saying.

"I'd gladly give the car away for free if I could be guaranteed all of the future sales for parts"

I couldn't find the exact qoute but its basically the same thing.

Leave a comment:

• Azpegath
    replied
    Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
    Not really, your statement would only affect game cost, not system cost. Microsoft was supposedly taking a loss on the cost of the hardware to keep prices lower than the PS3.
    True, but they are both very good strategies to build a big market. A big market means that more studios want to develop games for it. More studios means more games. Better tools means cheaper developing cost, with less-time-to-market, which means more studios and more games. Which means more users.
    It's a nice little upward spiral they created there.

Leave a comment:

• yogi_berra
    replied
    Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
    Well, both the pricetag and the number of games available are kind of the result of my statement.
    Not really, your statement would only affect game cost, not system cost. Microsoft was supposedly taking a loss on the cost of the hardware to keep prices lower than the PS3.

Leave a comment:

• Azpegath
    replied
    Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
    It certainly has nothing to do with the price tag and the number of games available.
    Well, both the pricetag and the number of games available are kind of the result of my statement.

Leave a comment:

• yogi_berra
    replied
    Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
    The reason why the XBox360 is such a hit is probably not so much thanks to the end user, but to Microsofts love and care (most importantly the latter) for developers.
    It certainly has nothing to do with the price tag and the number of games available.

Leave a comment:

• yogi_berra
    replied
    Originally posted by mendieta View Post
    Yes, a delusional nutjob. This explains why it is presented as a repectable source of news in Wikipedia, right:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groklaw
    Anyone and everyone can edit Wikipedia.

Leave a comment:

• ?John?
    replied
    this will essentially leave phone makers with 2 choices. Lots of support and coding cost for andriod " which is not free and is likely eating into the bottom line" or dropping andriod for a full featured ready to go OS that Ms handles the tech support and customer care on.
    Assuming M$ uses the same OEM model for smart phones as it does for desktops, then the one who will have to bear the whole burden of providing people with technical support is gonna be the phone makers. That's hardly very cost effective, so it sounds like we have a tie between both systems in question here.

that and ceo/cfo's choosing to reduce IT spending by having better integration.
    If you intend to imply that Android has trouble integrating with existing ICT infrastructure, then you're terribly misinformed. Everything that a user of such device cares about can be easily configured to seamlessly synchronize with both company's Exchange server and/or any other machine out there using user's Google account.

Leave a comment:

• Azpegath
    replied
    Originally posted by psycho_driver View Post
    The xbox360 would be a horrible failure if the customer base was smart enough not to accept shoddy electronic manufacturing standards.
    The reason why the XBox360 is such a hit is probably not so much thanks to the end user, but to Microsofts love and care (most importantly the latter) for developers.

They develop easy-to-use tools, and create an environment where it is simply easier to focus on what to do, and how to get it done. This in comparison to Sony, who created horrible tools with a steep learning curve.
    The Xbox devkit you can just plug into your computer and run all debugging through Visual Studio, just as if you're running it locally.
    If you get the developers on your side, you're basically home free. Just look at Apple with their huge ecosystem.

Leave a comment:

• RealNC
    replied
    Don't feed the troll

Leave a comment:

Working...
X