No announcement yet.

Nokia & Microsoft Get In Bed, Qt & MeeGo Take A Back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think that people are taking this the wrong way. The first mistake is in assuming that this deal was totally mutual. Guarantee that it wasn't. Nokia's *BEEN* falling, thanks to screwups (sabotage?) by the MS flunkie at the helm. Now the BORG have showed up with a buttload of cash to assimilate nokia (since its been somewhat weakened) -- the intention here is to put their MSFLUNKO OS on as many phones as they can, and they picked NOKIA because it is the world's largest cellphone hardware manufacturer. NO OTHER REASON.

THIS IS A HOSTILE MOVE by ms, and IT IS GOING TO WORK. Nokia is currently #2 in global smartphone market share. This MS deal is going to push them lower (already has, and there's going to be a DRAMATIC CRASH at the moment the switch is officially thrown) -- it will then continue to fall for a while until it levels out at probably 10%.... which is a lot bigger than they have now, so you could call that a SUCCESS for MS.

What this is REALLY going to do, is push GOOGLE over 50% globally. I think GOOGLE is already there in the US (and remember, talking about market share, not current ownership).... and the REAL COOL thing about this is that finally a LINUX-based platform will have a MAJORITY position in this market.... which actually has some REALLY fancy side-effects.... specifically, SMARTPHONE SALES HAVE EXCEEDED PC SALES! Very soon, OVERALL shipments of Linux will EXCEED overall shipments of MS.

And that is a GREAT thing.

Comment

Sadness and New Hope

I would be sad to see Nokia reduce or eliminate their MeeGo, Qt, and Symbian efforts. In my opinion, they are all good and exciting systems, more than many of their competitors.

On the other hand, if Nokia releases the employees currently working on these technologies, perhaps some of them will band together and really push one or more of these technologies as their primary product.

I love my N900, and I would love to see more devices with software like that. It's one of the few systems on mobile phones that makes me, as a owner, user and developer, feel like I'm being respected and enabled, rather than treated as a second-class citizen and barred from doing anything too exciting with the hardware.

So Maemo, MeeGo, Symbian and Qt developers: a big thank you to you all, your work is much appreciated. I hope you will keep up the good work, inside Nokia or outside!

Comment

Originally posted by PsynoKhi0 View Post
        Any "if you kick the bucket, all of your IP are belong to us" fine-print?
        Probably... first your base, then your IP.

Comment

Originally posted by ProTech View Post
          My only problem with this that they employed lots of opensource developers, and they were making Linux a better platform. I personally know a couple of guys who was working on gcc optimizations for Nokia.

Now these projects probably will stop. So this is a big loss for the opensource community, as these developers will be developing Windows technologies or quit/be fired by Nokia.
          when you say "gcc optimizations for Nokia." did you mean 'gcc optimizations for Arm Cortex/NEON payed for by Nokia' ? and if so why would it need to stop , you dont expect nokia to stop all ARM chipset/handset manufacturing do you, that would be madness indeed given ARM is the mobile chip Goliath that puts even Intel to shame globally.

Comment

very sad news for meego and i was waiting for the N9 with meego on it.. guess that won't happen anymore. Oh well, in that case i'm gonna go for android. Never windows mobile!

I do hope that Qt is still going to be actively developed for windows and linux.. it would be a big shame if that awesome toolkit got abandoned.

Comment

This makes a lot of sense to me: Microsoft clearly has nothing to lose and everything to gain from this partnership. Nokia on the other hand can only lose. But that doesn't really matter now that it's run by a Microsoft employee, does it?

Sad though for MeeGo and (possible) Qt

After years of failing miserably at competing with Android and iOS, apparently Nokia can't even get a turnaround done right...

Comment

My prophecy

My prophecy came true. 2 weeks ago I said "OMG, Elop being an MS manager is probably just installed by MS to get things working there - for MS. Uhoh, hopefully that will not harm MeeGo and Qt."

And what did I read today on German heise.de and now here on Phoronix? G'dahmit!
                I HATE Elop. And this is the beginning of the end for Nokia. Get in bed with MS and you won't see the next sunrise!
                Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
                  Wait, isn't this the opposite of karma? Don't you mean like "It's the law of equilibrium"? When one thing improves, another one has to get ruined.

Well yes..... Unless Gods a tyrannical dictator.

Comment

Originally posted by markg85 View Post
                    very sad news for meego and i was waiting for the N9 with meego on it.. guess that won't happen anymore. Oh well, in that case i'm gonna go for android. Never windows mobile!

I do hope that Qt is still going to be actively developed for windows and linux.. it would be a big shame if that awesome toolkit got abandoned.
                    OC we wont probably find out until Mobile World Congress but isn't the N9 or a derivative supposed to have an Intel chip in there too, if so i wonder if its perhaps one of the latest Intel Atom E600C processor +FPGA (C for configurable) series formerly codenamed ?Tunnel Creek? now the ?Stellarton" platform...

Comment

Originally posted by anybody View Post
                      This makes a lot of sense to me: Microsoft clearly has nothing to lose and everything to gain from this partnership. Nokia on the other hand can only lose. But that doesn't really matter now that it's run by a Microsoft employee, does it?

Sad though for MeeGo and (possible) Qt

After years of failing miserably at competing with Android and iOS, apparently Nokia can't even get a turnaround done right...
                      what do you mean!, it seems simple enough logic, Nokia the worlds biggest supplier of handsets wants in to the US markets, and so buddies up to MS the worlds largest desktop OS vendor that want a way in to and on to the vast world mobile space and Nokia contacts, so they can lay the groundwork for their windows8 in mobile ARM etc....

Comment

Working...
                      X