No announcement yet.

Nokia & Microsoft Get In Bed, Qt & MeeGo Take A Back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tannenbaum is wrong. Nokia should have increased development efforts on MeeGo and put aside microkernel based Symbian long before. It is obvious that as the devices get complicated, microkernel based approach gets harder to develop and wastes valuable time.

The result will be microsoft gaining a %5 or perhaps a %10 maximum increase in handheld OS market and nokia further shrinking to %20 levels in device sales. Can't understand how they could be that stupid.

Comment

I hear Google is going on a hiring spree, many new jobs likely to be related to Android.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
        What do you mean by that?

What's the point of Nokia purchasing Qt? That's a good question.

On its own, there is certainly a point about Qt, namely it is by far the best multi-platform toolkit out there.

I hope that this crap doesn't hurt Qt.
        +1

It's a truly sad thing if Qt is affected by this, and it probably will be. Why the hell buy a great platform, improve it (I really feel they have in regards to how "hot" Qt is right now, a lot of companies are talking about it, more than ever before), and then go to bed with the Devil which will probably force you to kill it.
        Not that a Nokia boss cares about a platform.. My mistake to think so.

My best wishes and thanks goes out to the developers! I think you've done an awesome job so far, and I'm really looking forward to more Qt, MeeGo/Maemo (still love my N900) and Linux awesomeness.

Comment

The fact that Nokia is able to purchase something like Qt is the real issue here. The problem that Qt faces is merely a symptom of this problem.

Comment

Nokia has decided to choose slow, less painful but certain death rather than waiting for their short term bitter pill to take effect. The new CEO seems to be risk averse and is content with Nokia being a just another hardware company. If Nokia could not use Intel's muscle for advancing MeeGo, shame on them. Maybe they should sell Qt+MeeGo to HP.

Comment

Did MS just buy Nokia for $0?

Comment

Minor Correction. Intel has dropped the Netbook spin of MeeGo.
                Nokia CEO Stephen Elop may have questioned the future of MeeGo in his burning platform memo and covered the OS at least with uncertainty.

Comment

i'm surprised nobody has brought up what makes this situation confusing. think about it - nokia spent a lot of time, and probably money, on meego. it obviously wasn't a fluke of a project because even intel still plans to use it. so why would nokia stop using their own product?
                  MS's windows phone 7 is doing the worst of all smartphone OSs, and they're a company that does literally anything to be first and wipe out competition. nokia with meego is a new form of competition. it would not surprise me if MS paid nokia a lot to stop their plans with meego, and to its place. microsoft cannot pay intel to stop doing something, and intel's plans for meego doesn't involve smartphones, it involves netbooks and tablets, which MS isn't really struggling in right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
                    It's a truly sad thing if Qt is affected by this, and it probably will be. Why the hell buy a great platform, improve it (I really feel they have in regards to how "hot" Qt is right now, a lot of companies are talking about it, more than ever before), and then go to bed with the Devil which will probably force you to kill it.
                    Let's not overreact here. Qt cannot be killed. It is GPL and LGPL, and there is a signed contract which states that if it is not to be actively developed by Trolltech, it will become BSD-licensed. There is an active community interested in keeping it alive.

It is still a worrying development. Trolltech has provided a stable and positive development environment for Qt, which is partly responsible for how brilliant and complete it is nowadays. It would be a hard blow should it be discontinued, and it would take a while before the community picked up enough speed to match the current pace of development.

Originally posted by joshuapurcell
                    The fact that Nokia is able to purchase something like Qt is the real issue here.
                    This is an unfortunate formulation. They have purchased Trolltech, which is the company owning the copyright to Qt.

Qt is still under both the GPL and LGPL, so even if Trolltech is terminated, most of their hackers (who are really cool people who support open source) would likely find ways to work on it.

Thank you RMS for thinking about scenarios like this one 30 years ago. Thank you Trolltech for GPL-ing Qt when you didn't have to, and making sure that Qt stays alive whatever happens.

Comment

assholes

fucking ridiculous ! for 8 years, eight long years i was and i'm using nokia 1100 phone. i hate it but still using it gladly. why ? because it fulfils its purpose and functionality/price is adequate which cannot be said about "smartphones" and other portables with shitty names. for all these years i heard only about one device which i would like to have and it's n900. because it has a lot of stuff, all of which i can use in its full potential. no bullshit.
                      but i would like slightly more - some fusion between n900 and N8, so i could completely replace my phone and laptop and do everything on that portable multi-purpose device. and that kinda device would emerge, and newest, polished version of most awesome portable multi-purpose OS, MeeGo would be rolling in it. but NO! someone had to fuck it up for me, for all of us! those little skunky, speculating, ballmer-loving, Windows™?-touching prostitutes !

eh, i should probably find latest factory revision of n900 and buy it. hope it at least as half as durable as old brick, 1100...

Comment

Working...
                      X