Nokia & Microsoft Get In Bed, Qt & MeeGo Take A Back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
    Kernel - is getting bigger and more bloated.
    You could say the same thing about the Windows NT kernel. Or the OSX kernel. Etc. I haven't actually seen any problems caused by this yet, unless you can point to them.
    GCC is being attacked by clang.
    Wait, so competition is bad? What's wrong with Clang again?
    Xorg is considered bloated and stagnating,
    It's considered crufty and old - i wouldn't necessarily say bloated. More to the point, that's been true for the last 15 years - and now finally something is being done about it. That's not evidence the linux desktop is dying, it's the opposite.
    Wayland ... maybe Intel and MS meet NDA agreement.
    Huh? I don't get that reference.

Comment

• Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
      What key technologies are left beside described above?.. Kernel - is getting bigger and more bloated. GCC is being attacked by clang.Xorg is considered bloated and stagnating, Wayland ... maybe Intel and MS meet NDA agreement. So much for linux desktop.
      Nice try. The funny thing is Kernel is becoming faster and faster while other stay in place or slow down. GCC just kills clang in performance. Great times are comming for Linux. Qt and KDE ftw!

Comment

• looks like pridicably plan b fail miserably

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...hip-dies-death

Comment

• Originally posted by kraftman View Post
          GCC just kills clang in performance.
          Were do you have those numbers? And what version of Clang? It would be interesting to see the data behind that statement.

Comment

• Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
            Were do you have those numbers? And what version of Clang? It would be interesting to see the data behind that statement.
            http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...-Final-results

Comment

• But I have seen other comparisons, where Clang (LLVM) by far outperformed GCC.

Perhaps their own website is far from objective, but it's interesting to see several different sources.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

For instance, shows quite even results.

But a lot of people don't focus on the performance of their compiler if there are other factors that make it a lot more beneficial to use, for instance SANE compiler output. GCC has been horrible at this previously, but I'm happy to say that it seems to be improving since Clang/LLVM came around.
              Perhaps it's good to have some energizing competition?

Comment

But a lot of people don't focus on the performance of their compiler if there are other factors that make it a lot more beneficial to use, for instance SANE compiler output. GCC has been horrible at this previously, but I'm happy to say that it seems to be improving since Clang/LLVM came around.
                I guess many more people prefer performance over output. btw. clang can be used on Linux as well, so double win for L.

Comment

I think there's no room for any "perhaps" - definitely! Even this NOKIA partnership with the devil can ultimately be beneficial:
                  If it flops, then we have one less M$ ditch-digger to worry about and others will be less likely to fall for such deals in the future.
                  If it actually gains them any more market share, it will most likely scare the crap out of the others and make them double the efforts to further improve their stuff even if it's just for good measure.
                  Healthy competition is good for everyone as many people are way too lazy to do anything but finding excuses to keep sitting on their hands without it, especially the ones driven by money - you know, putting out only the fires that really burn is one of the most popular ways to maximize the profit out there.

Comment

• On the bright side, if the windows phones don't sell very well relative to it's predecessors, then maybe windows phones will be stuck with a lingering bad reputation as well as Microsoft hopefully out of some money from their subsidizing Nokia's windows conversion.

I'd love to buy a MeeGo phone to support the platform. Unfortunately, the only MeeGo phone out there and most MeeGo phones likely to be developed in the near term use GSM. Unfortunately, my mobile carrier, Sprint, (as well as Verizon, the cell phone carrier with the highest US market share) uses CDMA.

Comment

• Originally posted by Prescience500 View Post
                      On the bright side, if the windows phones don't sell very well relative to it's predecessors, then maybe windows phones will be stuck with a lingering bad reputation as well as Microsoft hopefully out of some money from their subsidizing Nokia's windows conversion.

I'd love to buy a MeeGo phone to support the platform. Unfortunately, the only MeeGo phone out there and most MeeGo phones likely to be developed in the near term use GSM. Unfortunately, my mobile carrier, Sprint, (as well as Verizon, the cell phone carrier with the highest US market share) uses CDMA.
                      Based on first hand consumer response, I bet windows phone will sell as good or better then andriod. plus with microsoft leading the way it'll certainly be cheaper to develope for the phone manufacturers.

A point many seems to forget, if WP7 is cheaped for carriers and manufacturers and offer more security to piracy, geuss what they are going to install in droves.

anything that makes for a better bottom line will always have high levels of adoption.

Comment

Working...
                      X