No announcement yet.

Nokia & Microsoft Get In Bed, Qt & MeeGo Take A Back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got no idea what their shareholders think or want, after I heard about the deal I bought HTC Desire HD and I was planing to get N900. Especially having in mind the terrible experience that my colleagues had with windows phones in the past windoze is a NO NO NOOO for my phone

Comment

• Originally posted by tbyte View Post
      Especially having in mind the terrible experience that my colleagues had with windows phones in the past windoze is a NO NO NOOO for my phone
      I admit that I'm quite biased towards libre software (if it wasn't obvious already), but the real-world experience especially with mobile devices running Winblow$ definitely doesn't make it any better. Pretty much everyone I know who ever had such a device was complaining about serious problems at least with it's performance (getting worse all the time) and stability (frequent crashes, often several times a day).
      I can confirm the shoddy experience part myself because the PDA one of my friends once briefly let me check out started acting screwy almost as soon as I touched it, which almost certainly wasn't my fault, unless creating a new message and typing a few letters counts as misusing. Granted that was some time ago and things might have changed for the better without me being able to notice, but considering that M$ still doesn't seem to stand a chance suggests that this may be nothing unusual even now, after quite a few more years of "development".
      Either that, or they started hitting the same wall GNU/Linux is hitting on the desktop (no users means no developers which means no users?) and I gotta say I'm delighted to see that they're finally starting to get what they deserve.

Comment

• OK, there's not only plan B, there are more:

One of them ought to work out xD

Comment

• I'm wonderng how long it will take before Qt is forked? Surely with MS and Nokia ganging up together, they will do whatever it takes to make sure it's platforms are supported, and everything possible to gimp (no pun intended) Qt so it isn't as robust on GNU/Linux systems.

Comment

• Originally posted by FreeBooteR69 View Post
            I'm wonderng how long it will take before Qt is forked? Surely with MS and Nokia ganging up together, they will do whatever it takes to make sure it's platforms are supported, and everything possible to gimp (no pun intended) Qt so it isn't as robust on GNU/Linux systems.
            They can't get away with that one really - people have access to source and will see any intentional gimping of qt. One of the benefits of open source.

Comment

• If you can bear one more post, I would like to make myself clear. I'm not really trying to argue about any OS here. I have some legitimate objections against Winblow$, but that's not really what this is all about.
              I think that most of us are simply concerned, that current corporate policies have dangerously shifted from "serving the customers" to "screwing the customers". The fact that companies are willing to betray it's most loyal customers for the sake of other company's interests is just sick, because it means that corporations are ruthless.
              This is not a symbiotic behavior of a trustworthy partner (that's who they claim to be), but rather treacherous parasite (that's who they really are). That's what I hate about M$ and the likes so much - they won't hesitate a second to gut you if it makes them profit and they can get away with it.
              Many people seem to think that things have already gone too far and this outrage is nothing else but a warning shot - people that NOKIA let down are giving it one last chance to get things right before they completely turn their backs on it.

Comment

• Originally posted by tbyte View Post
                Got no idea what their shareholders think or want, after I heard about the deal I bought HTC Desire HD and I was planing to get N900. Especially having in mind the terrible experience that my colleagues had with windows phones in the past windoze is a NO NO NOOO for my phone
                While a massive slump in sales is a pretty clear message, I reiterate my earlier point about continuing to buy non-Windows phones from them in the longer term: if a shiny new phone is making less money than an old Maemo phone*, that should be enough for even the money-grubbing short term profit guys.

* Not likely with the N900 at this point, I know, but the N9 with MeeGo has been widely anticipated and sounds like it'll be a pretty nice device, so that might be able to pull it off. But this message of liking FOSS and very much not liking W7M is only made if people buy the sort of phone they want more of! When they release a good product, support it. When they release a bad one, steer as many people as possible away from it.

Comment

• I think the next thing happens to Nokia is that it looses a lot of money, eventually many of nokia professionals will be transfered within M$ and in several years Nokia declares bankruptcy and sells all its patents and technologies(Qt inclusive) to M$.

From another angle comes Miguel Icaza infecting GTK with its pseudo free pseudo .net and M$ controls both toolkits.

Then there is only single thing left - Java, which will eventually die in hands of Oracle.

Comment

• What key technologies are left beside described above?.. Kernel - is getting bigger and more bloated. GCC is being attacked by clang.Xorg is considered bloated and stagnating, Wayland ... maybe Intel and MS meet NDA agreement. So much for linux desktop.

Comment

• Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                      What key technologies are left beside described above?.. Kernel - is getting bigger and more bloated.
                      Ya and??? Big, bloated maybe but it isn't like the days were modularity wasn't found yet.
                      GCC is being attacked by clang.
                      The sooner the better.
                      Xorg is considered bloated and stagnating,
                      Not so much "bloated and stagnating" but has been surpassed to more elegant solutions while desktop usage was not seen as a priority. When work finally did start going somewhere they are facing a "painted oneself into a corner" dilemma by trying to maintain too much old stuff for legacy purposes (no matter how few people would still be using such legacy setups).

So much for linux desktop.
                      Until they start catering to the needs and wants of the home user the "linux desktop" will remain a niche crowd with development done by "niche developers".

Comment

Working...
                      X