Nokia & Microsoft Get In Bed, Qt & MeeGo Take A Back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ?John? View Post
    Assuming M$ uses the same OEM model for smart phones as it does for desktops, then the one who will have to bear the whole burden of providing people with technical support is gonna be the phone makers. That's hardly very cost effective, so it sounds like we have a tie between both systems in question here.

If you intend to imply that Android has trouble integrating with existing ICT infrastructure, then you're terribly misinformed. Everything that a user of such device cares about can be easily configured to seamlessly synchronize with both company's Exchange server and/or any other machine out there using user's Google account.
    Considering I deal with actuall IT people on a dialy basis. I can assure you its not that easy nor is it that simple.

the burden of phone support will fal to microsoft. This will save the Phone makers money.

Phone makers will do whatever is in the interest of the bottom line. The truth is this is where microsoft may wield a massive advantage.

They likely just wants the APP/GAME market and are willing to give away the OS and support for free to the phone makers to get it.

Henry Ford was once qouted as saying.

"I'd gladly give the car away for free if I could be guaranteed all of the future sales for parts"

I couldn't find the exact qoute but its basically the same thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thatguy View Post
      the burden of phone support will fal to microsoft. This will save the Phone makers money.
      Do you have any credible source to prove this or am I supposed to just take your word for it? Anyway - assuming it works, this would most likely be an extremely short term deal.

Originally posted by Thatguy View Post
      They likely just wants the APP/GAME market and are willing to give away the OS and support for free to the phone makers to get it.
      Again - that may be so, but you can bet your ass it won't stay that way for long and eventually they're definitely gonna start charging everyone outrageous license fees and at least try pushing the support burden to the OEMs, because that's what they always do after they manage to achieve critical mass.

Henry Ford was once qouted as saying.

"I'd gladly give the car away for free if I could be guaranteed all of the future sales for parts"

I couldn't find the exact qoute but its basically the same thing.
      I'm familiar with the infamous drug-dealer strategy: first dose is usually free - at least under the circumstances that make other policies unlikely to succeed.

I have nothing else to say except that there's only one way to find out - let's just wait and see how the whole thing pans out.

Comment

• Originally posted by RealNC View Post
        Well, except for mice, keyboards, other peripherals, computer games and application software.
        What application software? Office? Hands up if you saw Office>2003 deployed anywhere outside of schools. ODT>DocX(XML) according to Google's index. Internet Explorer? Webkit>IExplorer. Virusscanners (they have one calles OneCare)? Live Messenger (versus Watsapp)? Live Photo viewer? Errr... ?

Pheripherals and games are good indeed, especialy that Xbox360 DirectInput controller for Windows. (HID FTW BTW, but hey?)

Let's look at where they fail:
        Search; Bing Vs Google
        Social networking; Live Vs Facebook
        Advertising Vs Google
        Office collaboration solutions; Office Vs Google Docs
        Maps; Bing maps Vs Google Maps
        Mobile OS; Windows Mobile Vs Android
        Adobe-style standards; MSXML Vs ODT
        The web: Internet Explorer Vs Webkit
        Plugins; Silverlight Vs Flash
        Music players; Zune Vs Ipod
        Music store; MSN Music Vs iTunes
        Tablet OS: Windows Tablet Vs iOS

What did I miss?

You know there used to be a time when if Microsoft was it, you're product was screwed. The entire business model from Microsoft is "The more people use it, they more it is worth". Well they can't enforce that model that made them so succesful today anymore. What model do they have? Marketing? Apple doesn't do marketing and neither does Linux so why is their marketshare desclining to this day? Quality? Maybe as Windows 7 is now kinda popular, but no.

You see the golden rule is that you can't make a replacement product for something. You must come up with something radically new and enabeling, otherwise people don't want to have your replacement product even if it's gratis or works better. When people choose your product people will stick to it, irregardless of what you'll come up with.

Comment

• Originally posted by ?John? View Post
          Do you have any credible source to prove this or am I supposed to just take your word for it? Anyway - assuming it works, this would most likely be an extremely short term deal.

Again - that may be so, but you can bet your ass it won't stay that way for long and eventually they're definitely gonna start charging everyone outrageous license fees and at least try pushing the support burden to the OEMs, because that's what they always do after they manage to achieve critical mass.

I'm familiar with the infamous drug-dealer strategy: first dose is usually free - at least under the circumstances that make other policies unlikely to succeed.

I have nothing else to say except that there's only one way to find out - let's just wait and see how the whole thing pans out.
          I have a crediable source. I own a bussines.

How much more crediable does it need to be, no I am not going into details.

Comment

• Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
            Apple doesn't do marketing and neither does Linux so why is their marketshare desclining to this day?
            Are you kidding me? I see Apple ads everywhere.

Comment

• Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
              Anyone and everyone can edit Wikipedia.
              That article is rated B-Class, and it's edit history says the last edit was in 11/2010. It is most unlikely that anyone here has modified it to their advantage, and it is probable that the article is generally reliable.

Well, I run Majestic 12 from my base in Area 51, and Icarus tells me that you're wrong.

Get the idea?

Comment

And you know the exact details of the deal because the next M$ strategic partnership is gonna be with your company I take it? No offense, but I really couldn't resist.

Originally posted by 1Samildanach View Post

Well, I run Majestic 12 from my base in Area 51, and Icarus tells me that you're wrong.

Get the idea?
                Man, you just made my day by totally cracking me up. I've spattered all over my laptop's display and still have a hard time breathing. That was simply hilarious. By the way - Deus Ex is one of my favorites, which makes me incredibly sorry for the unfortunate demise of Loki Software, especially considering they went belly up just moments before they managed to finish the GNU/Linux port.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
                  Are you kidding me? I see Apple ads everywhere.
                  OK that's not in my country and iPods and iPhones used to be everywhere... So it still doesn't matter I guess...

Comment

I am not sure how you owning a business makes you a credible source for predicting Microsoft's future support decisions. Unless the business you own is Microsoft itself, or unless Microsoft has given your business information it hasn't given anyone else, I don't see how this gives you any more ability to predict MIcrosoft's future decisions than anyone else.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1Samildanach View Post

Get the idea?
                      Nooo! I thought i'd defeated you!
                      Remember? I ushered in a new dark age and made nokia abandon meego for windows.

Comment

Working...
                      X