X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thatguy
    replied
    Originally posted by NomadDemon View Post
    i want my xonar use good mixing, bypassing pulseaudio... use just clear ALSA

can some1 tell me perfect setup for ubuntu and ALSA?
    I think your out of luck on this one. If you really want good professional quality audio handling your stuck with Mac OSX and Windows enviroments. Mostly driver quality is better and feature quality is better. The solutions are generally more mature, better featured and generally speaking far more stable with less update breakage.

Its sucks but thats how it is, I know several studio owners they are about evenly split between MAC and PC and alot of them have been migrating towards pc for sometime as the performance of MAC isn't always the best with big effects loads.

but don't worry, someone will stumble in here any minute and tell you how many movies studios etc are using linux to do stuff, while this is somewhat true they are using linux running custom software to run render farms. Very few big studios run linux and if they are its not software the average studio users or home musician can use.

Point in case. Cubase and Nuendo and Protools are pretty much the bggest names in DAWs. they offer no versions for linux AFAIK and i doubt that will change. Likely due to the open nature of linux and IP concerns.

Leave a comment:

• NomadDemon
    replied
    i want my xonar use good mixing, bypassing pulseaudio... use just clear ALSA

can some1 tell me perfect setup for ubuntu and ALSA?

Leave a comment:

• Thatguy
    replied
    Originally posted by Wyatt View Post
    Also needs to be asked whether we're talking OSS3 or OSS4, here. (On that note, I wonder if Oracle has retained Hannu to work on Boomer...)
    Honestly they need to boil down to one sound subsystem design. just make it really good. Windows has WDM which sucks until you use ASIO to rip the windows mixer features out of the system to reduce latency.

Once you do that, it works well, but its not like the windows deployments and WDM arch is problematic, its just heavy on the latency which makes recording a total pain in the ass.

Leave a comment:

• Wyatt
    replied
    Originally posted by Thatguy View Post
    work fine everywhere but linux, might not be a problem with OSS.
    Also needs to be asked whether we're talking OSS3 or OSS4, here. (On that note, I wonder if Oracle has retained Hannu to work on Boomer...)

Leave a comment:

• Thatguy
    replied
    Originally posted by NomadDemon View Post
    yea. maybe oss play sound, and work with hardware, but works shitty with software...
    work fine everywhere but linux, might not be a problem with OSS.

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by djdoo View Post
    But programs in windows report hardware mixing of 129 voices and also DX supports ASIO 2 drivers, whereas for my via onboard 1708S HD audio card they report software mixing and no ASIO driver for it.

How do you explain that?
    That is a result of Asus's drivers playing openAL trickery in order for it to support EAX 5.

Leave a comment:

• NomadDemon
    replied
    yea. maybe oss play sound, and work with hardware, but works shitty with software...

Leave a comment:

• Thatguy
    replied
    They should just go back to working on OSS. It works better.

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    Usually old via chips had 4 sources hardware mixing. But as dmix is alsa default it works with any chip. But of course not when you force one specific output device.

Leave a comment:

• djdoo
    replied
    Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    Sorry to disappoint you but the CMI-8788 has NO hardware mixing capabilities at all. It simply is not present in the chip.
    But programs in windows report hardware mixing of 129 voices and also DX supports ASIO 2 drivers, whereas for my via onboard 1708S HD audio card they report software mixing and no ASIO driver for it.

How do you explain that?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X