ALSA 1.0.24 Has Arrived, Bringing Better Linux Audio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NomadDemon View Post
    i want my xonar use good mixing, bypassing pulseaudio... use just clear ALSA

can some1 tell me perfect setup for ubuntu and ALSA?
    I think your out of luck on this one. If you really want good professional quality audio handling your stuck with Mac OSX and Windows enviroments. Mostly driver quality is better and feature quality is better. The solutions are generally more mature, better featured and generally speaking far more stable with less update breakage.

Its sucks but thats how it is, I know several studio owners they are about evenly split between MAC and PC and alot of them have been migrating towards pc for sometime as the performance of MAC isn't always the best with big effects loads.

but don't worry, someone will stumble in here any minute and tell you how many movies studios etc are using linux to do stuff, while this is somewhat true they are using linux running custom software to run render farms. Very few big studios run linux and if they are its not software the average studio users or home musician can use.

Point in case. Cubase and Nuendo and Protools are pretty much the bggest names in DAWs. they offer no versions for linux AFAIK and i doubt that will change. Likely due to the open nature of linux and IP concerns.

Comment

generaly.. it workd.. alsa + PA and it work flawless.. only i want to have less latency.

the problem is.. iam musician.. i need good audio. for sound creation, listening samples of mixed records from my studio etc

in studio i use Maudio delta1010, it doesnt work with PA, use only jack in studio

in my home computer i have xonar DX, want to use it in 100%

is there any possibility to ask ALSA dev team to improve this stuff?

Comment

generaly.. it workd.. alsa + PA and it work flawless.. only i want to have less latency.

the problem is.. iam musician.. i need good audio. for sound creation, listening samples of mixed records from my studio etc

in studio i use Maudio delta1010, it doesnt work with PA, use only jack in studio

in my home computer i have xonar DX, want to use it in 100%

is there any possibility to ask ALSA dev team to improve this stuff?
        Part of the latency is the design of the kernel itself.

you need a aggresive premptive kernel for low latency message passing, for this linux isnt so good without alot of kernel tunning. its not even possiable IMHO.

seriously, I tried linux audio for years I finally broke down and spent $450 on presonus studio one and a $150 for a copy of windows xp pro. My problems have since been solved.

Comment

no, i dont use my PC for recording. dont need 1ms latency on my PC just want to have full synchro youtube and sound, rhythmbox and sound, its already next song, and still lastone plays[same other players, a little move like 0,5sec pure alsa doesnt have this latency problem, only adding PA have

Comment

no, i dont use my PC for recording. dont need 1ms latency on my PC just want to have full synchro youtube and sound, rhythmbox and sound, its already next song, and still lastone plays[same other players, a little move like 0,5sec pure alsa doesnt have this latency problem, only adding PA have
            thats likely do to the way the kernel is optimized for certain workloads. I remember similar situations in my attempts to get linux to be a workable solution for proaudio. I never succeeded. Some claim to have but I don't think they know any better.

Comment

If you're trying to do serious audio work in Linux, you use JACK and things that speak JACK. That's really all there is to it. And if necessary, you use the rt-sources. What's complicated about this?

Comment

i just want to configure alsa, not changing kernel.. kernel updates are once per month any of you try xonar on other distros?

Comment

As far as I know, ALSA utilizes the hardware to do audio mixing, but Pulseaudio does sound mixing in software, so it probably uses the CPU quite a bit. So you might have problems running Pulseaudio on lowend CPU's..

That said, I'm using a core2duo and Pulseaudio works fine for me. I'm not sure what the minimal requirements are, but I'm in the clear! .. It seems like ALSA works for you, why don't you just use pure ALSA without pulseaudio added on top?

Comment

kernel updates are once per month
                    Err...just for curiosity's sake....why? If your kernel works, there's no real reason to NOT leave it alone.

Comment

phenom II 810 isnt slow CPU... but i still can see the problems somethimes 0.5 second sometimes 0,2 but still i can feel latency

Comment

Working...
                      X