Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Finds New Love With Qt

Phoronix: Ubuntu Finds New Love With Qt

Mark Shuttleworth has announced today on his blog that as part of Ubuntu 11.10 they are looking at expanding their support for the Qt tool-kit. They are looking at now including the Qt libraries as part of their default Ubuntu installation and to include worth while Qt applications...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

cant say i disagree.
    qt normally fits better into a gtk environment than the other way around.

Comment

I think this is great news. I hope this will spark users to be less polarized about GUI toolkits in the future.

Comment

My only comment here is that including the qt-core and qt-gui libs on the Live CD will be difficult to impossible, without culling more built-in applications. They really need to retire the Live CD concept entirely and go with a Live DVD clocking in around 2GB -- large enough to ship Qt, Gtk, OpenOffice, Gimp, and a whole slew of useful software, but without being so painfully bloated as to just barely fit on a DVD. The bandwidth required to push copies of a full 4.7GB DVD is, after all, more than twice that required for a 2GB DVD image. It's a compromise: goodbye CD-R* media, without killing everyone's capped internet connections too badly.

As libraries, the kernel, and the base system continue to get larger and more complex, it's becoming harder and harder to meet that 700 MB target. For people who refuse to buy a $20 DVD-RW drive, I say point them to Lubuntu or Xubuntu, which will continue to ship primarily GTK apps based on their respective slimmed-down desktop environments, so I expect these two distros will be able to ship under 700 MB easily for quite some time.

It's time that the flagship product of "Ubuntu" starts to offer a more robust out of the box install, without sacrificing kernel headers, gcc, or any of the other big bits that people repeatedly want to put on the chopping block. I'm all for Qt by default, but not if it means cutting out more stuff that's been in previous releases. The CD-RW is dead; all hail the DVD-RW!

Comment

The whole of Qt is not more than about 40MB. And for only QtCore and QtGUI, it's less than 15MB.

I don't think that warrants a 2GB ISO

Comment

That's all nice, Qt fanboys now rejoice, now let's solve some real Linux problems.

Comment

Glad the taboo (the shipping of qt libraries with the default gnome setup) has been lifted. Common sense finally prevailed. One stubborn (and stupid) policy less in Ubuntu, hopefully more of them are on the way out.

Comment

For some reason -and i cannot explain it- i get the feeling that GTK is declining

Qt seems to have more support from big companies and gaining momentum.

Might be wrong though.

Comment

I'm surprised that they didn't install them by default. Many popular apps use Qt, including VLC, SMPlayer and Skype. Of course, all KDE apps too, but that's a few extra libraries still.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                    For some reason -and i cannot explain it- i get the feeling that GTK is declining

Qt seems to have more support from big companies and gaining momentum.

Might be wrong though.
                    I don't think so.

But the rise of MeeGo will make Qt much more relevant in the future.

Comment

Working...
                    X