Ubuntu Finds New Love With Qt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
    Too bad (for you) that Mono facilitates best-of-breed applications. We'll be seeing more of it as time passes, you can bet on this.
    Too bad (for you) that that is only true in some parallel universe dimension other than ours. In this universe mono is just a shity clone of an MS driven platform with shity apps that nobody likes.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonno View Post
      Yes, that means Qt applications will render the GUI using Gtk+ by default when running on GNOME, making them look like native Gtk+ applications (because when running on GNOME they are native Gtk+ applications).

Unfortunately the converse is not true for Gtk+ applications running on KDE.
      There's been some progress recently. Oxygen has been semi-officially been ported to Gtk. Not a half-assed wannabe port. A *real* port:

I installed the Git version. It actually works and KDE Oxygen and Color settings are obeyed. Most Gtk+ apps look like Qt ones. Here's a screenshot of Gimp:

Of course, the Gtk/Gnome devs couldn't be arsed to do this themselves... Shows how much they care :P

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
        Translation: Lacks functionality, configurability and works just as well. Yep. Those are the "good" apps nowadays, I guess.
        What configuration do you need in a cd burning application, other than burn speed and buffer underrun protection?

Sometimes, less is more.

Comment

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
          Too bad (for you) that that is only true in some parallel universe dimension other than ours. In this universe mono is just a shity clone of an MS driven platform with shity apps that nobody likes.
          I like Mono apps. Oops, seems like I just demolished your 'argument'.

Comment

There's been some progress recently. Oxygen has been semi-officially been ported to Gtk. Not a half-assed wannabe port. A *real* port:

I installed the Git version. It actually works and KDE Oxygen and Color settings are obeyed. Most Gtk+ apps look like Qt ones. Here's a screenshot of Gimp:

Of course, the Gtk/Gnome devs couldn't be arsed to do this themselves... Shows how much they care :P
            But what happens when I change my Qt-theme to Cleanlooks, Plastique or anything else? GTK-apps start looking foreign again!

This is not GTK+ apps rendering using Qt, but just another case of one Qt-theme and one GTK+-theme looking consistent with each other, similarly to the existing qtcurve (though admittedly looking a lot better than qtcurve).

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
              I like Mono apps. Oops, seems like I just demolished your 'argument'.
              Yeah, there are no technical advantages, so an only argument supporting mono is someone likes sluggishness. I suppose you're a hardcore turn based strategy gamer.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                Yeah, there are no technical advantages, so an only argument supporting mono is someone likes sluggishness. I suppose you're a hardcore turn based strategy gamer.
                Actually, I prefer RPGs.

And of course there are significant technical advantages. For instance, the lack of out-of-bounds bugs that plague C/C++ libraries. Have you ever checked the security upgrades in your package manager?

Comment

Nice to read.
                  As a user of different programs I always have both the GTK and Qt stuff (plus sometimes other older toolkits) on my Gentoo. Takes time to compile though.
                  But I also welcome that Canonical is opening up to Qt and especially installing a developer (giving back to the community, wasn't there an issue with Canonical?) and enhancing compatibility/visual comp. between these popular libs.

Now that DOES look nice.
                  Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                    (giving back to the community, wasn't there an issue with Canonical?)
                    No, not really. A couple of people complained that Canonical is not contributing to the Linux kernel as much as Red Hat but w/e. As far as I'm concerned, their work on accessibility, design/usability, compiz and qt is more important to the Linux community as a whole.

The new gtk theme looks awesome indeed.

Comment

That looks very promising. However the only thing which really annoys me when using GTK apps in KDE is the file dialog window. I think the KDE file dialog is way superior to the one in Gnome/GTK - but that's just my opinion. I guess this theme does not replace the file dialog window of GTK, does it?

Comment

Working...
                      X