Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oracle VM VirtualBox 4.0 Has Arrived

Phoronix: Oracle VM VirtualBox 4.0 Has Arrived

Oracle's VM VirtualBox virtualization software just went into beta two weeks ago, but since then they have put out four beta releases. Now though Oracle is already ready to announce the official release of VM VirtualBox 4.0...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Oracle VM VirtualBox 4.0 Has Arrived

Oracle's VM VirtualBox virtualization software just went into beta two weeks ago, but since then they have put out four beta releases. Now though Oracle is already ready to announce the official release of VM VirtualBox 4.0...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODk0Nw
    ...and this release already appears to be far less stable than the already lockup-prone VirtualBox 3.2 for me on my MacBook Pro...
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      ...and this release already appears to be far less stable than the already lockup-prone VirtualBox 3.2 for me on my MacBook Pro...
      Mixed bag. It works better for some things, but is slightly twitchy. Works well enough for what I'm needing to do- but I suspect we're going to have to wait until the OSE version gets beaten upon and delivered before this one's in decent enough shape for all parties.

Comment

I'm also hitting an odd issue on VirtualBox 4 where scrolling with the mouse wheel is emitting a right click event.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I got the distinct impression that someone high-up in Oracle's management said, "You're going to make a major release before the end of the year. DO IT or you're fired." to each of the open source project leads. VBox, OpenOffice and MySQL have all been making "amazing" progress in the past few weeks. The decision must have hit in October or November, giving them very little time to prepare if they were in the middle of an otherwise longer development cycle.

The software is rushed, no doubt about it. Full of untested code. One or two day turnaround for betas? You're not going to get any meaningful feedback in that timeframe.

I was going to ask how the performance compares to VMware Workstation 7.1.x, since I use that; but I'm not going to even try VirtualBox until they stop shitting out releases like a bunny, and actually take some time to do proper QA. I'd rather use slower-but-stable than fast-but-crashes.

Heh, and today I got a phone call followup to a support ticket I filed almost a year ago at VMware. That's persistence. They really do make sure that your issue is resolved. If you have an issue with VBox, you can complain on the forums, but most likely you'll be ignored unless you are able to fix it yourself.

Comment

meh, virtualbox has always been like this. Throw a few betas in the general direction of the internets, then release the next day.
            Really, take a look at any release ending in .1 and enjoy the gems in the changelog. And just when it's almost stable again, they rush out the next feature release.

I understand that they're chasing a moving target (vmware), but a little QA really wouldn't hurt.

That said, I use vbox for my occasional virtualisation needs, but I'm not sure if I'd rely on it when money is at stake.

Comment

The betas sucked, I've now installed the final to see if it works any better.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                Can't say that I'm surprised, after a two weeks (wth?) beta cycle.

Comment

Well, from my personal experience, I've a different opinion from most of you.

Although it's somewhat slower in raw perfomance than VBox 3.2.x, I'm not having stability issues (both Windows/Linux guest machines) with VBox 4.0 on my Linux / Windows 7 hosts.

Furthermore, now we've USB 1.1 support for free and VBox is GPL2-licensed (unless you want to install the extension pack). So, why complain because it's being co-developed by a proprietary company (Oracle)? Didn't it also occured when Sun co-developed it?

For me, Vbox 4.0 seems a bit like the experience I had with KDE 4.0. Most people were complaining about bugs, but I didn't notice any major problems (one bug or another, but nothing show-stopper). Now (with KDE4.6 almost being released), most of us can say KDE4 was revolutionary for the Linux Desktop (Linux left from a 90's-like DE to a 21st-century-like one).

My 2c, cheers

Comment

Well to celebrate BOTH virtualbox 4.0 AND Mandriva 2010.2, I managed to build virtualbox-4.0.0-OSE rpms from source THEN proceeded to try to install Mandriva 2010.2 on a VB machine!

Oh Bollocks, it hung up mid-install; poop, back to Qemu.

Comment

Working...
                    X