No announcement yet.

Vista Makes Creative Labs Dupe Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was referring to the amount of cash at the Vole's disposal. IOW, when Billy G. wants something, he gets it.

Comment

Originally posted by Arctucas View Post
      I was referring to the amount of cash at the Vole's disposal. IOW, when Billy G. wants something, he gets it.
      To a certain extent, yes. However, that IS changing quite quickly.

I DO know that there's a batch of new games that are NOT DirectX and won't be- partly because of the Wii and the PS3. Some of which look every bit as good as the DirectX9/10 titles in progress or out. It's not that it's easier- it's different. And if you're gunning for anything other than X-Box and Windows (nobody in the console space will want MS-only if they've got their head screwed on straight these days...) then you will either do interchangeable rendering backends, etc. or skip X-Box and go for everything else. Several players are already doing this one- and I've seen a few of the titles at a previous consulting gig.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
        The largest problem with that line of thought is that you're asking the developer to take an initial hit in revenues. The Linux user base, while substantive enough to merit simultaneous releases is NOT large enough for them to do something like that unless they're Linux fans in the first place. That's an awfully tall order, especially for an Indie studio.
        What's to stop an indie looking at companies such as Novell, Redhat, Mandriva, etc to become the publishers? These companies are desparately trying to crack the desktop user space and I'm sure would have no issue publishing the next "killer" game. BTW the crew at Project Offset are much of the same crew as Rune, so they are somewhat sympathetic towards linux.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
          What's to stop an indie looking at companies such as Novell, Redhat, Mandriva, etc to become the publishers? These companies are desparately trying to crack the desktop user space and I'm sure would have no issue publishing the next "killer" game. BTW the crew at Project Offset are much of the same crew as Rune, so they are somewhat sympathetic towards linux.
          Not their business segment. Stick with your competencies. You can bankroll a indie publisher, but if you're Red Hat, etc. that's NOT your business and you've little business doing it. Trust me on this one- it's a different business and it requires different thinking.

Comment

Not their business segment. Stick with your competencies. You can bankroll a indie publisher, but if you're Red Hat, etc. that's NOT your business and you've little business doing it. Trust me on this one- it's a different business and it requires different thinking.

Hey MS did it, and it worked for them. So did Apple with their products. It's thinking like yours that stagnates a market.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
              Hey MS did it, and it worked for them. So did Apple with their products. It's thinking like yours that stagnates a market.
              Considering that Red Hat TRIED that and quickly dropped it, you might want to re-think that thinking. And for your info, Apple doesn't DO game publishing and Microsoft, if you've not noticed, happens to be bigger than anyone else and is mostly there because of the bucks they're spending, not because they're doing any good at it.

Hey, I've got a great idea- why don't YOU go and do what you're suggesting?

Comment

Considering that Red Hat TRIED that and quickly dropped it, you might want to re-think that thinking. And for your info, Apple doesn't DO game publishing and Microsoft, if you've not noticed, happens to be bigger than anyone else and is mostly there because of the bucks they're spending, not because they're doing any good at it.

Hey, I've got a great idea- why don't YOU go and do what you're suggesting?
                Apple didn't do mp3 players.
                Apple didn't do Pro audio/video apps.
                MS did not succeed on the first attempt at games either.
                Redhat screwed up it happens and the timing was completely off, that does not mean would/could not work now.

You learn, you adjust, and then try again with another approach.
                Last edited by deanjo; 18 May 2007, 11:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  News Link: http://www.phoronix.com/?page=news_item&px=NTc4NA

What do you think about Creative's failure? Will you own another Creative Labs sound card?
                  This is one of the main reasons my desktop (in sig) does not have a Creative card. The X-Fi is one of the most popular and newest cards Creative has released, and after so long it STILL doesn't have a Linux driver.

That is pathetic.

If Creative doesn't care enough about Linux users to at least get their latest card working on some crappy level under our OS, then I definitely don't care enough about their products or company to buy anything they're selling.

Comment

I too believe that Creative have demonstrated that their product isnt a viable option for the approximate 3 billion people (1 billion in India, 1 Billion in China and almost 1 Billion in South America) in the world who's most affordable IT solution is a Linux system. It is interesting that they, as a commercial entitiy, would delibertly limit their market to such a degree. I thought the 'commercial imperative' would have dictated that they make their product available to as many users as possible.

It is unfortunate that Creative took this step in order to comply with what must be Microsoft pressure, but there are quite a few products on the market that provide equivilant performance to most of Creatives product range and that are compatible with many linux systems and the ALSA driver.

Comment

It's just not worth buying a Creative product if you are remotely interested in Linux support. As mentioned in a previous post, "Money talks". I hope Creative's recent actions (or inactions) will cause them some level of financial problem, since that will be the only way this company will change their practices. Besides... there are plenty of alternative sound cards that are very well supported under LInux.

Comment

Working...
                      X