X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crazycheese
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    Right. The initial radeonhd development was co-funded by Novell and AMD between mid-2007 and late 2008.
    Thank you!

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    I think that you're referring to the RadeonHD driver, which was developed by Novell using AMD documentation.

Current radeon developers are either paid by AMD directly, or by RedHat, or are volunteers.

I don't know about other drivers, but nouveau seems to be mostly funded by RedHat, and Intel by, well, Intel.

Yes, ty. That means future development should be not affected. Its great that AMD does finance the opensource devel! Thanks!

Luckily I decided to use Linux Mint on my girls parents machine, not openSuse. On the other hand, its pretty sad if most of ideas done by german hackers will be transfered to microsoft. Like they don't have enough, they are just expanding the monopoly.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Right. The initial radeonhd development was co-funded by Novell and AMD between mid-2007 and late 2008.

Leave a comment:

• pingufunkybeat
    replied
    I think that you're referring to the RadeonHD driver, which was developed by Novell using AMD documentation.

Current radeon developers are either paid by AMD directly, or by RedHat, or are volunteers.

I don't know about other drivers, but nouveau seems to be mostly funded by RedHat, and Intel by, well, Intel.

Leave a comment:

• LightBit
    replied
    Originally posted by leif81 View Post
    Can we get a source for this?

Leave a comment:

• crazycheese
    replied
    Wait!
    Could that mean, that opensource ati driver, mesa and drm development is now dependent on new holder?
    Isn't Novell sponsoring most of the dev team(instead of AMD)?

John, can you answer it please? Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• crazycheese
    replied
    Buy Icaza please. Now with 20% off!

GPL ftw!

Leave a comment:

• NoEffex
    replied
    This COULD potentially be disastrous however it's unlikely. Microsoft is only allowed to invest in people attempting to illegalize Linux, because the moment they sue they'll be hit with so many anti-trust suits it will be funny. Governments can disband companies you know..

Leave a comment:

• leif81
    replied
    Can we get a source for this?

Leave a comment:

• Hohlraum
    replied
    I called this years ago on Slashdot when it was first announced that they were "investing" in Novell. If this has anything to do with Novell's UNIX copyrights/IP everyone should be very very concerned. I'm guessing it isn't because DOJ would probably object. You know damn well Microsoft will try to go after Linux with it if it was included.

Leave a comment:

• Chewi
    replied
    Originally posted by KAMiKAZOW View Post
    None. A consortium of which MS is part of bought parts of Novell's IP.
    The news article is simply wrong and the headline is even worse.
    Indeed, I also should have ready the article more carefully. Still seems unfortunate though.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X