Novell's Finally Sold: Going To Attachmate & Microsoft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wait!
    Could that mean, that opensource ati driver, mesa and drm development is now dependent on new holder?
    Isn't Novell sponsoring most of the dev team(instead of AMD)?

John, can you answer it please? Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by leif81 View Post
      Can we get a source for this?

Comment

I think that you're referring to the RadeonHD driver, which was developed by Novell using AMD documentation.

Current radeon developers are either paid by AMD directly, or by RedHat, or are volunteers.

I don't know about other drivers, but nouveau seems to be mostly funded by RedHat, and Intel by, well, Intel.

Comment

Right. The initial radeonhd development was co-funded by Novell and AMD between mid-2007 and late 2008.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            Right. The initial radeonhd development was co-funded by Novell and AMD between mid-2007 and late 2008.
            Thank you!

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
            I think that you're referring to the RadeonHD driver, which was developed by Novell using AMD documentation.

Current radeon developers are either paid by AMD directly, or by RedHat, or are volunteers.

I don't know about other drivers, but nouveau seems to be mostly funded by RedHat, and Intel by, well, Intel.

Yes, ty. That means future development should be not affected. Its great that AMD does finance the opensource devel! Thanks!

Luckily I decided to use Linux Mint on my girls parents machine, not openSuse. On the other hand, its pretty sad if most of ideas done by german hackers will be transfered to microsoft. Like they don't have enough, they are just expanding the monopoly.

Comment

If Microsoft buys UNIX intellectual property....

Comment

Microsoft goes on the market with stocks/shares. Somebody invests in these shares. So somebody owns part of Microsoft and would seriously like it if Microsoft's dominance stays dominant.

Now a company (Attachmate) of three investors (Francisco Partners, Golden Gate and Thoma Cressey), that combined have (5+9+1.5=)$15.5 billion in assets, bought Novell. One of these companies with $1.5 billion in assets is Thoma Cressey, part of Attachmate.

Thoma Cressey has Microsoft assets.

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK!!!

Comment

Originally posted by philcostin View Post
                  If Microsoft buys UNIX intellectual property....
                  What will happen then? Please finish your thought, it sounds ominous.

Note that Microsoft certainly dabbles in Unix IP. They ship a POSIX layer for Windows and have developed a number of Linux drivers (plus they have swallowed countless companies) - to think otherwise is rather naive.

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                    Microsoft goes on the market with stocks/shares. Somebody invests in these shares. So somebody owns part of Microsoft and would seriously like it if Microsoft's dominance stays dominant.

Now a company (Attachmate) of three investors (Francisco Partners, Golden Gate and Thoma Cressey), that combined have (5+9+1.5=)$15.5 billion in assets, bought Novell. One of these companies with $1.5 billion in assets is Thoma Cressey, part of Attachmate.

Thoma Cressey has Microsoft assets.

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK!!!
                    Eh, you are stretching things a bit. What if someone owns Microsoft- and Linux-related stock?

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                      Luckily I decided to use Linux Mint on my girls parents machine, not openSuse. On the other hand, its pretty sad if most of ideas done by german hackers will be transfered to microsoft. Like they don't have enough, they are just expanding the monopoly.
                      I don't think that this is a real danger. SUSE hackers are as Linux as you can get, being one of the oldest Linux players around.

The only potential problem is with bogus or non-bogus IP lawsuits, or (more likely) the FUD relating to these.

Microsoft is not as incompetent as Darl McBride and similar clowns.

Comment

Working...
                      X