No announcement yet.

The ~200 Line Linux Kernel Patch That Does Wonders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still no AUR script for building and patching the kernel.

If only I had more time to write one...

Comment

Is there a way to objectively measure desktop/mouse responsiveness?

This patch has all the hype but how do you quantify the improvement?

Which benchmark would one use? Is it available through Phoronix already?

Comment

Is there a way to objectively measure desktop/mouse responsiveness?
        You could use a high-speed camera (~1000fps) to measure the frames between a mouse-click and the reaction of the desktop (changing the button).

This patch has all the hype but how do you quantify the improvement?
        Do the steps mentioned in the article :

Compile a kernel with "make -j64" and start Firefox and a HD-video. Without the patch the system gets totally sluggish. With the patch you can watch the video and use Firefox without any bigger problems.

Which benchmark would one use?
        Trust your own eyes!

Comment

Originally posted by kebabbert View Post
          ROFL!

Have you not been able to do this in Linux, until now?
          I take you're implying Windows? I hope not. Let me just go ahead and say that Linux has always been better at multitasking than Windows. Regressions in Linux are in their own league.

I don't know how it compares to Mac OS X or other Unixes.

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
            I take you're implying Windows? I hope not. Let me just go ahead and say that Linux has always been better at multitasking than Windows. Regressions in Linux are in their own league.

I don't know how it compares to Mac OS X or other Unixes.
            Besides, this is NOT about multitasking, it's about responsiveness. An entirely different thing

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
              Haha, that reminds me when I was with my dad when he bought a new computer;
              PC_store_owner: "Hello. How can I help you?"
              Dad: "I'm in the market for a new computer."
              PC_store_owner: "Well we have bla bla bla"
              Dad: "Just give me the best of the best computer you have"
              PC_store_owner: "OK, the best computer we have here has x, y, z and a ten megabyte harddisk."
              Dad: "Ten megabytes, is this the best of the best?"
              PC_store_onwer: "Sir, ten... megabyte. You'll never get to fill it up".

10 megabyte cool , but you should have told your dad to get the AMIGA 1000/500 + A590 20Meg XT/SCSI drive 50 pin internal SCSI header
              internal 40 pin XT IDE header (8 bit only)

and you could have used Real responsive round robin Multitasking microkernel OS while using LightWave 3D etc..

Comment

the User responsiveness of the official AT&T SVR4 Amiga port , Amix one of only a few that got official UNIX sanction, (QSL QNX , you know the one before RTP6, the RIM OS now,being another), wasn't to shabby eather.

Comment

Originally posted by unimatrix View Post
                  Well at the time 640K really was enough for anybody.
                  No it wasn't, and only a little later, people where putting 2 meg of fast ram in their A590's etc, and using it to it's fullest to make nice 3D Amiga gen-locked transitions for Video Toaster on their Ami's.

Comment

Originally posted by fhuberts View Post
                    Besides, this is NOT about multitasking, it's about responsiveness. An entirely different thing
                    Dude every kernel can multitask. Windows Vista/7/NT6 multitasks primarily by use of mouse focus... Yeah that's right. Check the interview of the Vista kernels devs on Channel9; http://channel9.msdn.com/

Maybe I should have said load balancing, although Linux is currently fscking that up in the disk I/O department...

If you want responsiveness (I'm guessing UI?) then check out E17.

Comment

ppa nagging

just tried the liquorix kernel on lucid. boy am i glad that i found the backup of my menu.lst.
                      i will now join the ranks of those nagging for a ppa or at least an ubuntu walkthrough. this patch is way too good to wait for the next distribution to pick it up. just do it for fame.

Comment

Working...
                      X