No announcement yet.

The ~200 Line Linux Kernel Patch That Does Wonders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, we see that the patch does "miracles" for heavy CPU load by compiling with many processes but...
    How about heavy disk or USB storage I/O?
    Will this patch improve desktop responsiveness when the CPU is waiting for I/O operations? If it's improving that too, that will be real benefit for most users as probably most of us use mlocate, strigi indexing or anything else indexing files in background or at least data copy between disk and usb devices.

And what about compiz/kwin desktop effects?
    The video is showing desktop responsiveness without desktop effects.

Comment

so this.will probably improve my desktop performance when tabbing out of a game like heroes of newerth?
      sounds awesome!

Comment

Gosh, Michael, can you use normal PCs while demonstrating improvements in kernel process management?

Not everyone here has a six cores top Intel Core i7 CPU which costs $1000.

Comment

Would it be too much to ask for a PPA containing the kernel with this patch?

Comment

Originally posted by xeros View Post
            Ok, we see that the patch does "miracles" for heavy CPU load by compiling with many processes but...
            Will this patch improve desktop responsiveness when the CPU is waiting for I/O operations? If it's improving that too, that will be real benefit for most users as probably most of us use mlocate, strigi indexing or anything else indexing files in background or at least data copy between disk and usb devices.
            Yup, I agree about CPU waiting for I/O.

I noticed a very nasty CPU usage raise using latest fedora 14 LXDE on a old Athlon XP 1500+ (1333 mhz) machine with disk workloads.

AFAIK disk workloads should not stress CPU at all, since they should use DMA and let other CPU bound tasks use the CPU.

Instead watching a video on such a machine (and even listening to music) is a real pain when something is going to access the disk (even the mouse cursor stutters). By comparison, on the same machine I got WinXP and have none of these awful behaviours.

I add that, during such heavy disk transfers, most of the time top reports that CPU is eating cycles in wait state.

Comment

Originally posted by unimatrix View Post
              Would it be too much to ask for a PPA containing the kernel with this patch?
              And AUR script would also be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                Gosh, Michael, can you use normal PCs while demonstrating improvements in kernel process management?

Not everyone here has a six cores top Intel Core i7 CPU which costs $1000.
                I've thought about the same :-)

My P4 is single core with two logical "cores" (HT)...

Comment

$ uname -a
                  Linux veyka 2.6.36-zen1-custom6-amd64 #1 ZEN SMP PREEMPT Mon Nov 15 21:12:11 GMT 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux

$ cat /proc/sys/kernel/sched_autogroup_enabled

running a -j4 kernel compile along with other CPU stuff, inc a game in WINE, everything is keeping going nicely, even less slowdown than before, fantastic patch!

(It just landed in the zen kernel git last night, I only turned it on because it sounded good, glad I did!).

Been having some more stalls at high IO load under 2.6.36. even with BFQ, which is a shame, maybe .37 will be nicer in that department.

Comment

Originally posted by xeros View Post

And what about compiz/kwin desktop effects?
                    The video is showing desktop responsiveness without desktop effects.
                    I personally can't comment on that one, as I've never seen more than 2-3% I/O wait (OCZ-VERTEX2).

But desktop effects on crap graphic card (nVidia Corporation G98 [Quadro NVS 420]) under very heavy usage is as smooth as it can be. Heavy CPU usage makes no difference any more.
                    Rob
                    email: [email protected]

Comment

I'd *love* to try this one out but I'd need it in a PPA.

Anyone awesome mind sharing their successful compiles?

Comment

Working...
                      X