Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PerfKit: A Nicer Way To Look At Valgrind, FTrace, Etc

Phoronix: PerfKit: A Nicer Way To Look At Valgrind, FTrace, Etc

Christian Hergert has announced the PerfKit tool (or as he calls it, a "toy") during the Linux Plumbers Conference taking place this week in Cambridge. PerfKit provides a GTK user-interface and the ability to provide plug-ins that hook into the various developer utilities like Valgrind (memory profiling/debugging), FTrace (trace system calls), Perf, and other areas. Thereby with PerfKit you don't need to worry about the individual utilities and it's all presented from a nice user-interface. It's like a Phoronix Test Suite for developer tools...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

About time someone did an app like this for Linux.

Comment

The features shown in that video don't look that useful to me, especially compared to profiling tools like KCacheGrind.

Though I might give it a try as I tend to mostly use valgrind tools simply because I don't remember all the commands for the others and am lazy.

Comment

A much more usefull one, Massif, have just been released.
        Massif Visualizer is a tool that - *who would guess that* - visualizes massif data. You run your application in Valgrind with `--tool=massif` and the open the generated `massif.out.%pid` in this...

But I would liek to see KCacheGrind, Massif, Sysprof, DTrace and "live" GDB frontend in a single application. Swtiching from apps to apps work, but switching from view to view in a single application would be better. I know it's not the Unix way of working, but, this time, a Single fat GUI would help.

Comment

I may have to give this a shot in the near future. I have some performance profiling to do against the VP8 decoder, and since I'm fairly new to Valgrind/cachegrind, a pretty GUI might make my life easier.

Comment

Working...
          X