X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• zouboulou
    replied
    Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    Did long time ago and it was doable. Would have been easier however when x86 and x86-64 were still separate code bases.
    and would bring no real big benefits.

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by michal View Post
    No, an old drivers rarely needs updates.
    Old drivers are quite often updated. One only needs to look at the alsa release logs there to see that.

You do not need to compile it. You can disable old drivers in config
    Never said you couldn't however the trend for pre-compiled kernel configs is to modularize everything including the kitchen sink.

not quite
    I really beg to differ, reducing the legacy hardware support would trim the config tree considerably.

it really does not matter
    Sure it does, especially where installation / live media is concerned plus it would ease the burden on users that do not have a good high speed link.

AFAIR ISA code is still needed for PCI, PCI is still needed for PCIexpress.

I'm not sure if it's possible to remove isa even on x86_64. Zone DMA probably still has to be supported.
    I'm talking more of ISA devices such as ISA video cards, ISA sound cards, ISA network cards, etc etc.

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    BTW. The best would you do if asked about it at LKML - there, you'll get the most competent answers.
    Did long time ago and it was doable. Would have been easier however when x86 and x86-64 were still separate code bases.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    The resources that are required to maintain these products would be better put towards common hardware in use. It would also decrease compilation time, ease configuration options, reduce code complexity, and start bringing down the kernel to a reasonable size again on "in the can" distros. Lets face it, many distro's advertise minimum requirements that often exceed the capabilities of any hardware that would still have support for these products such as ISA solutions, micro-channel support, tolkien ring, etc.
    BTW. The best would you do if asked about it at LKML - there, you'll get the most competent answers.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    The resources that are required to maintain these products would be better put towards common hardware in use.
    No, an old drivers rarely needs updates.

It would also decrease compilation time,
    You do not need to compile it. You can disable old drivers in config

ease configuration options,
    not quite

reduce code complexity, and start bringing down the kernel to a reasonable size again on "in the can" distros.
    it really does not matter

Lets face it, many distro's advertise minimum requirements that often exceed the capabilities of any hardware that would still have support for these products such as ISA solutions, micro-channel support, tolkien ring, etc.
    AFAIR ISA code is still needed for PCI, PCI is still needed for PCIexpress.

I'm not sure if it's possible to remove isa even on x86_64. Zone DMA probably still has to be supported.

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    I don't see any problem with drivers for an old hardware. Why do you want to remove them? Are these drivers broken or something?
    The resources that are required to maintain these products would be better put towards common hardware in use. It would also decrease compilation time, ease configuration options, reduce code complexity, and start bringing down the kernel to a reasonable size again on "in the can" distros. Lets face it, many distro's advertise minimum requirements that often exceed the capabilities of any hardware that would still have support for these products such as ISA solutions, micro-channel support, tolkien ring, etc.

Leave a comment:

• thefirstm
    replied
    Originally posted by jakubo View Post
    would there be a significant performance boost if kernel was compiled manually with only the drivers needed for a particular system?
    i had gentoo some time ago and i didnt see a huge performance increase.
    how come? i really had only the drivers i needed in there.
    does the BKL change of 2.6.37 affect single core systems like mine?
    The BKL removal shouldn't affect single-threaded systems at all because the BKL is used only for multi-threaded, multi-core, or multi-processing systems.

Leave a comment:

• jakubo
    replied
    would there be a significant performance boost if kernel was compiled manually with only the drivers needed for a particular system?
    i had gentoo some time ago and i didnt see a huge performance increase.
    how come? i really had only the drivers i needed in there.
    does the BKL change of 2.6.37 affect single core systems like mine?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I would however love to see a Linux 2.8 kernel release where they trim down the hardware modules to reasonably recent hardware and get rid of the massive amounts of legacy hardware support that is still in the kernel.
    I don't see any problem with drivers for an old hardware. Why do you want to remove them? Are these drivers broken or something?

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by RobbieAB View Post
    I assume you are referring to Snow Leopard (10.6)... This was less a "bug fix and slim" release as it was a "recompile in 64bit" release.
    That is over simplifying 10.6. 10.6 was more about trimming out legacy support (PPC) and features such as openCL.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X