Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Granted A Patent For GPU Video Encoding

Phoronix: Microsoft Granted A Patent For GPU Video Decoding

Back in 2004 there was a US patent application from Microsoft entitled "Accelerated video encoding using a graphics processing unit" and as of this morning the patent has been approved by the USPTO. Will this now further complicate matters for the Linux graphics stack?..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What a fucked up world.
    I don't know much about patents, but this kind of stuff sounds ridiculous to me.

Comment

Isn't this a patent for video encoding, not decoding?

Comment

Patent is for ENcoding, not DEcoding.

Is it too hard to actually even read the excerpt you're pasting in before posting sensationalist falsehoods as news?

I think software patents are as utterly unethical and bullshit as any other intelligent computer scientist, but this patent is not relevant to graphics/video drivers or their implementations, and it's actually even a bit novel in that I've never heard of anyone else doing this yet. It's still stupid because the GPU is just another processing unit and offloading calculations to it is natural and obvious (hence OpenGL, DirectCompute, CUDA, etc.), but this is not going to affect anyone in the OSS world besides the video ENcoding library/app developers.

Comment

US has to 'first to invent' type of patent system.
          As much as this patent might seem binding, in reality,
          if the case goes to court, it would be almost impossible to enforce.
          Since there are many working
          implementations of the original idea, determining who was the first
          inventor is impossible in practice.
          For example, the date of filing is 2004, and nvidia had a working product on the market by this data (GF 6 series).
          Therefore, it's one those patents
          that is there, however doesn't change anything in practice.

Originally posted by vertex2 View Post
          What a fucked up world.
          I don't know much about patents, but this kind of stuff sounds ridiculous to me.

Comment

What about we patent, processing applications on CPU?
            And how about patenting all the characters on the world, so anyone who write a text have to pay us to publish their writings?
            Is it possible?

Comment

It is not possible since it does not meet the non-obviousness patentability requirement.

Originally posted by fernandoc1 View Post
              What about we patent, processing applications on CPU?
              And how about patenting all the characters on the world, so anyone who write a text have to pay us to publish their writings?
              Is it possible?

Comment

Originally posted by aznabaal View Post
                It is not possible since it does not meet the non-obviousness patentability requirement.
                Nor does video encoding using GPU acceleration.

Comment

Maybe not now, but in 2004 it probably did meet this requirement.
                  I do not know the details of the patent office ruling and specifics of
                  the patent, however encoding streams using specific GPU methods
                  (not all methods, since the patent has to be about particular implementation not idea itself)
                  seems pretty non-trivial to me (dating back to 2004 or earlier).
                  I understand and share the general distrust to patents, but
                  being opinionated is not the best way to go.
                  Moreover, like I say, patent is just the first step to court ruling and
                  is only a recommendation not a right. Many patents are dismissed in court especially in the US.

Originally posted by movieman View Post
                  Nor does video encoding using GPU acceleration.

Comment

Originally posted by aznabaal View Post
                    Maybe not now, but in 2004 it probably did meet this requirement.
                    I was working on GPUs in 2004 and I can guarantee you that using them for video encoding was pretty damn obvious. If I remember correctly we were even talking with
                    a third-party about using GPUs for video encoding before then.

Comment

Working...
                    X