Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mandriva's Forked Into A New Project Called Mageia

Phoronix: Mandriva's Forked Into A New Project Called Mageia

The Mandriva Linux distribution has been forked by a number of Mandriva contributors with the fate of this distribution formerly known as Mandrake being unknown due to financial troubles and layoffs facing Mandriva's parent company. This new forked version of Mandriva is being called Mageia...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good move

I think this is a good move as in the past the management has made some strange moves that I think really weren't good for this great distro. And in some ways they didn't do a lot but they should (I mean supporting the community of users and contributors more). So I really wish Mageia all the luck they can get. Maybe all my Mandriva boxen will in the be run by Magic

Comment

I don't like it

This fork was done without the consent of the communities, or even without asking the communities. I see this as only personal revenge from the fired employees.

For each and every Mandriva user, remember, some of these people behind Mageia are exactly the persons the community was complaining about for years. Please don't misunderstand me, not all of them are bad, but the worst is there (I will not give names) and I don't like that they forked without at least first contacting the main communities (MUGs).

I believe the other talks about Mandriva forking, which were started a couple of weeks ago could be more productive and could lead to a more coherent community and distribution. In those talks ALL communities are involved ... but it seems like, again, that Mageia "Company" did exactly what MandrivaSA used to do ... ignored the talks, and instead of convincing the communities they just started a fork on their own.

Enough said ... will see what the future of Mageia and Mandriva will be. I just can hope that I am wrong and Mageia will be a successful distro, but as thing stand today, I see it just as a instrument to definitely destroy the existing Mandriva community.

Comment

@patkoscsaba
        Well I don't see any problem with annoncing the fork. What I mean is that it doesn't prevent any existing community to still join the long journey that has just barely began. I see the announcement as just a point where it all just begins and after this pont all interested communities can come together and start planing and building the future. The point of announcement is not the final point where all is final and decided (that's the view you have if I understand you right). So it is now that communities start officialy joining the effort and actually getting to the consent.

As for the same people, well yeah, there are a lot of former mandriva employes, but these are the developers and not their bosses/management. Now all will work as they want and as community at large decides and not how the management was deciding before. And I think the management was the part that interefered in the past so it was not so smooth as it could have been.

So in short, the journey has just began and the doors have just open, So nothing is final in such early times so there is no need to have a cloased mind on the situation already. Kepp the doors open, don't close it already.

Comment

As Arthur C. Clarke once said: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from 'Magic'"

that was probably in the minds of those that did the fork, in hopes for them to do their Mageia(magic).

Comment

PCLinuxOS

That's stupid. It would be more wise to join antother existing distibuton rather to create yet another Linux distro.
            I doubt all other distributions are fundamentally incompatible with the goals of Mandriva/Mageia. Especially PCLinuxOS comes to mind which started as Mandriva fork and still shares many similarities with it.

Comment

Originally posted by KAMiKAZOW View Post
              That's stupid. It would be more wise to join antother existing distibuton rather to create yet another Linux distro.
              I doubt all other distributions are fundamentally incompatible with the goals of Mandriva/Mageia. Especially PCLinuxOS comes to mind which started as Mandriva fork and still shares many similarities with it.
              Well, but that one has a really stupid name. Mageia is way cooler. :P (though I've trouble imagining how you'd pronounce it)

Comment

Ma-gay-a would be the intuitive pronunciation to me anyway...

Comment

If it is indeed from the Greek word for 'Magic', then it should be pronounced as:

Mah-ye(ast)-ah

as in, the 'ye' there is pronounced as in the word 'yeast'. The emphasis is on the 'e'

Otherwise your guess is as good as any.

Comment

Working...
                  X