X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dubhthach View Post
    A commercial company already did that with a proprietary kernel module:
    http://www.microxwin.com/
    What they won't tell you is that it's a proprietary module- shipping something with it to anyone other than in-house clients is a GPL violation against the Linux kernel itself.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      Let's move Firefox into the kernel too. I can post benchmarks then showing how faster it is
      Well guess what? It ?sn't. At least not by much. The only reason for the massive speedup in D-Bus is because D-Bus is a userspace daemon that has to do A LOT of switching to Kernel Mode whenever it's used. Firefox needs to do nothing in kernel mode.

Or to make a better analogy: Paying a bus driver to leave his bus and stand around outside the exact moment nobody needs to driven and have him haste back into the bus whenever customers are around makes no sense. Yet with D-Bus you advocate that.

And once again: The kernel is modular - you don't want D-Bus don't build it.

Comment

Originally posted by bilbao View Post
        With plasma fire you mean. And all the devs who had this idea. Then spread the dust through space and lets never talk about it again!
        If you're using plasma fire, I'm thinking that Schlock just eats it.

I'm thinking that we just take off and nuke it from orbit- it's the only way to be sure. >:-D

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
          DCOP is a KDE thing not a general userspace message bus and definitely old and has reached its limits, thus dbus was born. Also Gnome just started using dbus as well so it isn't just a KDE thing now any longer and it has gotten the same benefits as KDE did.
          Which proves my point?

Comment

Originally posted by fabiank22 View Post
            And once again: The kernel is modular - you don't want D-Bus don't build it.
            Everyone wants dbus. My desktop won't function without. But I have a PC, not a Nokia phone. Speed is not an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
              Everyone wants dbus. My desktop won't function without. But I have a PC, not a Nokia phone. Speed is not an issue.
              Speed is always an issue my friend. I you can do anything to improve it, do it.

Comment

Originally posted by tball View Post
                Speed is always an issue my friend. I you can do anything to improve it, do it.
                Like program everything in optimized assembler?

Comment

The only reason for the massive speedup in D-Bus is because D-Bus is a userspace daemon that has to do A LOT of switching to Kernel Mode whenever it's used. Firefox needs to do nothing in kernel mode.
                  There are more messages between Firefox and X than D-Bus messages on my whole desktop. If it's just about eliminating the system calls and memory copies, moving either Firefox or X into the kernel would save way more CPU cycles than moving D-Bus.

Any other arguments why moving D-Bus into kernelspace is supposedly a good idea, while moving firefox isn't?

Comment

Which proves my point?
                    Maybe there needs to be a better more efficient way to do dbus message handling.

Comment

Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
                      There are more messages between Firefox and X than D-Bus messages on my whole desktop. If it's just about eliminating the system calls and memory copies, moving either Firefox or X into the kernel would save way more CPU cycles than moving D-Bus.

Any other arguments why moving D-Bus into kernelspace is supposedly a good idea, while moving firefox isn't?
                      Nice strawman.

Comment

Working...
                      X