Virtualbox users?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virtualbox users?

I was wondering if anyone uses Virtualbox.

I was curious if it makes any difference as to what graphics driver or video card you use.

For e.g., if you are using a Linux host and install another Linux OS guest, would the video driver situation be exactly the same as the host?

If you have a Nvidia card, you would have nv drivers at first or you are expected to use VESA drivers until you install the proprietary drivers in the guest OS?

If you have an ATI card, it is probable that you can just use the open source ATI (radeon) driver of whatever card you're using? (Except for the potential issues with Evergreen cards). As an option, you can install the fglrx/Catalyst driver if you want (in the guest OS)?

Am I perceving the situation, correctly?

I am just wondering if there's any benefit to be had based on what video card you have or if there's drawbacks with certain cards.

I'm not worried about the other issues or features of Virtualbox as I believe there's workarounds and documentation on them. I haven't found too many discussions on video drivers/video cards in Virtualbox or even VMWare so I don't know if that means there isn't much of an issue or it's really complicated.

I only know of one VirtualBox user who uses onboard/integrated ATI video (HD 2100) on an AMD AM2+ mobo and they use the open source driver for it. They don't really use VirtualBox to do very many video-oriented projects, though.

Anyone here use VirtualBox? If so, what is your video card and do you have to do anything in particular to get video drivers and video features working? Just curious.

No one here uses Virtualbox?!?

Or my questions aren't interesting or the video card differences on a typical desktop merely apply to the virtual machines?

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
      Or my questions aren't interesting or the video card differences on a typical desktop merely apply to the virtual machines?
      VirtualBox has its own video drivers which map virtualised OS calls to host system calls. I believe it will install an OpenGL driver which just passes the calls through to the host OepnGL driver with whatever parameter munging might be required.

Comment

@Panix

For Linux guest you can try to execute my script as root to install the guest addons (live mode possible!):

when you enable 3d and use i.e. ubuntu compiz will even work. It does not work much more however. kde 4 effects are not supported. You need those addons also for screen resize, mouse just like an app and virtual folder access.

As those 3d functions are really basic even fglrx should be able to handle it, did not try ati oss however. It is certainly NOT possible to install native drivers in vbox. It would be possible with xen in a special config where you give the guest access to that pci device.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
          @Panix

For Linux guest you can try to execute my script as root to install the guest addons (live mode possible!):

when you enable 3d and use i.e. ubuntu compiz will even work. It does not work much more however. kde 4 effects are not supported. You need those addons also for screen resize, mouse just like an app and virtual folder access.

As those 3d functions are really basic even fglrx should be able to handle it, did not try ati oss however. It is certainly NOT possible to install native drivers in vbox. It would be possible with xen in a special config where you give the guest access to that pci device.
          Oh, okay, thanks for this info. This answers a lot of questions so I appreciate your reply!

It will be interesting to try once I get started!

Comment

On Linux (host)
            Install the above on Windows guests for direct3d support on the guests.

On windows (host):
            Direct3d should run out of the box but again try the above link.

OpenGL is accelerated on both host types.

Clicking options / install guest additions always works for me save for slackware and a few others.. you just mount the cdrom and as root run the self installer.

Comment

Working...
            X