• Show
Clear All

• devsk
    replied
    Originally posted by kernelOfTruth View Post
    ++

I already posted it in #38

we're turning in circles
    It wasn't clear if the nr_freed change was for Zen or for vanilla. But it looks like that was irrelevant. Its now clear to me. Its the patch with nr_freed that we need to apply for 2.6.35 vanilla sources. And this is what kernel_of_truth meant when he said he combined patches 1&2.

Leave a comment:

• kernelOfTruth
    replied
    Originally posted by rekiah View Post
    ++

I already posted it in #38

we're turning in circles

Leave a comment:

• rekiah
    replied
    @devsk: see http://groups.google.com/group/zen_k...c889c75879312d

Leave a comment:

• devsk
    replied
    One question folks:

I got two sets of patches. One has
    Code:
    +		/* Check if we should synchronously wait for writeback */
    +		if (should_reclaim_stall(nr_taken, nr_reclaimed, priority, sc)) {
    and the other has:
    Code:
    +		/* Check if we should syncronously wait for writeback */
    +		if (should_reclaim_stall(nr_taken, nr_freed, priority, sc)) {
    Which one of them is right for 2.6.35?

Leave a comment:

• kernelOfTruth
    replied
    besides that it really DOES make a difference:

I'm currently re-testing usage of reiser4 and there are almost no stalls / hickups during webradio streaming when the filesystems needs to heavily flush things to disk (even with device-mapper & LUKS) - which definitely was a problem in the past

during heavy swapping of 1-2 GiBs (e.g. compiling chromium in ram) it's still somewhat responsive but sound is broken for several seconds-minutes (pulseaudio obviously significantly makes it worse) and the GUI also doesn't react for several (dozen) seconds

so as a summary:
    the management of swapping out stuff needs some more improvements in desktop land; flushing and handling of the filesystems in general has greatly improved

Leave a comment:

• kernelOfTruth
    replied
    Originally posted by Ranguvar View Post
    Me as well.
    are you guys referring to lkml.org or lwn.net ?

if not:

patch 1&2:
    [PATCH mmotm] vmscan: raise the bar to PAGEOUT_IO_SYNC stalls

fix:
    vmscan: fix inconsistency reported by Kail and confirmed by Wu Fengguang

that's all you need for 2.6.35 ! (it already includes the other stuff from patch 5-7)

the 2.6.35 branch is the way to go - only the first 2 patches are needed for that because it already includes the additional ones

for 2.6.34 you need a lot more but it's also included with zen-stable

Leave a comment:

• Ranguvar
    replied
    Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    I'm still looking for the full set of those patches for 2.6.35. Where are they?
    Me as well.

Leave a comment:

• loonyphoenix
    replied
    how would you know ?

anyways: pulseaudio is working fine now for me and I'm enjoying the additional comfort (since the kernel largely won't get into lagging anymore)

yeah, it's really a shame that xine isn't (?) developed anymore (I'm referring to the xine GUI since using it practically isn't worth it - often times it'll hardlock my box)

xine-lib (xine ?) however is still developed: http://www.xine-project.org/home
    Sorry, my mistake then. I was sure I'd seen mention it had stopped active development.

Leave a comment:

• kernelOfTruth
    replied
    Originally posted by loonyphoenix View Post
    I got phonon fixed by removing pulseaudio from my system. phonon-gstreamer seems to work fine with plain alsa, and phonon-xine causes some problems with Amarok. Plus, I don't think xine is being actively developed by anyone anymore...
    how would you know ?

anyways: pulseaudio is working fine now for me and I'm enjoying the additional comfort (since the kernel largely won't get into lagging anymore)

yeah, it's really a shame that xine isn't (?) developed anymore (I'm referring to the xine GUI since using it practically isn't worth it - often times it'll hardlock my box)

xine-lib (xine ?) however is still developed: http://www.xine-project.org/home

Latest news?

2010-07-25: Release
    xine-lib 1.1.19
    A new version of xine-lib is available. This is mainly bug fixes, but there are one or two new features, notably support for the WebM container format.

Please check the release notes for details & known problems.

Download it from our download page.

2010-03-06: Site news
    #xine-vdpau
    #xine-vdpau (freenode) is no more. Use #xine (alternatively, on OFTC) instead.

It has been determined that, while it was the more active channel, a lot of its content was general xine-related chat, which is more on-topic in #xine, so we've decided that VDPAU no longer needs a separate channel. If you have a problem with this, send your comments to /dev/null ☺.

2010-03-06: Release
    xine-lib 1.1.18.1
    A new version of xine-lib is available. This is a bug-fix release; there were a few ?minor? breakages in 1.1.18.

Please check the release notes for details & known problems.

Download it from our download page.

Leave a comment:

• loonyphoenix
    replied
    forget that

it was a phonon / KDE4 related problem:

switching from the gstreamer to the xine-backend "fixed" it

so nearly no stalls anymore

and I'm sure 2.6.36 will be even better (lots of improvements already got in according to the postings on lkml)
    I got phonon fixed by removing pulseaudio from my system. phonon-gstreamer seems to work fine with plain alsa, and phonon-xine causes some problems with Amarok. Plus, I don't think xine is being actively developed by anyone anymore...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X