Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Linux Desktop Responsiveness Patches Are Feeling Good

Phoronix: The Linux Desktop Responsiveness Patches Are Feeling Good

As was reported on Phoronix yesterday, the Linux desktop responsiveness problem may be fixed. This is the issue that has affected many Linux desktop users for numerous months where when dealing with large file transfers or other disk operations, the desktop interface (regardless of whether its GNOME, KDE, Xfce, etc) would become unresponsive and it could be a good number of seconds before a simple action like clicking a menu item would be processed...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODQ3OQ

• devsk
    replied
    Originally posted by kernelOfTruth View Post
    ++

I already posted it in #38

we're turning in circles
    It wasn't clear if the nr_freed change was for Zen or for vanilla. But it looks like that was irrelevant. Its now clear to me. Its the patch with nr_freed that we need to apply for 2.6.35 vanilla sources. And this is what kernel_of_truth meant when he said he combined patches 1&2.

Leave a comment:

• kernelOfTruth
    replied
    Originally posted by rekiah View Post
    ++

I already posted it in #38

we're turning in circles

Leave a comment:

• rekiah
    replied
    @devsk: see http://groups.google.com/group/zen_k...c889c75879312d

Leave a comment:

• devsk
    replied
    One question folks:

I got two sets of patches. One has
    Code:
    +		/* Check if we should synchronously wait for writeback */
    +		if (should_reclaim_stall(nr_taken, nr_reclaimed, priority, sc)) {
    and the other has:
    Code:
    +		/* Check if we should syncronously wait for writeback */
    +		if (should_reclaim_stall(nr_taken, nr_freed, priority, sc)) {
    Which one of them is right for 2.6.35?

Leave a comment:

• kernelOfTruth
    replied
    besides that it really DOES make a difference:

I'm currently re-testing usage of reiser4 and there are almost no stalls / hickups during webradio streaming when the filesystems needs to heavily flush things to disk (even with device-mapper & LUKS) - which definitely was a problem in the past

during heavy swapping of 1-2 GiBs (e.g. compiling chromium in ram) it's still somewhat responsive but sound is broken for several seconds-minutes (pulseaudio obviously significantly makes it worse) and the GUI also doesn't react for several (dozen) seconds

so as a summary:
    the management of swapping out stuff needs some more improvements in desktop land; flushing and handling of the filesystems in general has greatly improved

Leave a comment:

• kernelOfTruth
    replied
    Originally posted by Ranguvar View Post
    Me as well.
    are you guys referring to lkml.org or lwn.net ?

if not:

patch 1&2:
    [PATCH mmotm] vmscan: raise the bar to PAGEOUT_IO_SYNC stalls

fix:
    vmscan: fix inconsistency reported by Kail and confirmed by Wu Fengguang

that's all you need for 2.6.35 ! (it already includes the other stuff from patch 5-7)

the 2.6.35 branch is the way to go - only the first 2 patches are needed for that because it already includes the additional ones

for 2.6.34 you need a lot more but it's also included with zen-stable

Leave a comment:

• Ranguvar
    replied
    Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    I'm still looking for the full set of those patches for 2.6.35. Where are they?
    Me as well.

Leave a comment:

• loonyphoenix
    replied
    Originally posted by kernelOfTruth View Post
    how would you know ?

anyways: pulseaudio is working fine now for me and I'm enjoying the additional comfort (since the kernel largely won't get into lagging anymore)

yeah, it's really a shame that xine isn't (?) developed anymore (I'm referring to the xine GUI since using it practically isn't worth it - often times it'll hardlock my box)

xine-lib (xine ?) however is still developed: http://www.xine-project.org/home
    Sorry, my mistake then. I was sure I'd seen mention it had stopped active development.

Leave a comment:

• kernelOfTruth
    replied
    Originally posted by loonyphoenix View Post
    I got phonon fixed by removing pulseaudio from my system. phonon-gstreamer seems to work fine with plain alsa, and phonon-xine causes some problems with Amarok. Plus, I don't think xine is being actively developed by anyone anymore...
    how would you know ?

anyways: pulseaudio is working fine now for me and I'm enjoying the additional comfort (since the kernel largely won't get into lagging anymore)

yeah, it's really a shame that xine isn't (?) developed anymore (I'm referring to the xine GUI since using it practically isn't worth it - often times it'll hardlock my box)

xine-lib (xine ?) however is still developed: http://www.xine-project.org/home

Latest news?

2010-07-25: Release
    xine-lib 1.1.19
    A new version of xine-lib is available. This is mainly bug fixes, but there are one or two new features, notably support for the WebM container format.

Please check the release notes for details & known problems.

Download it from our download page.

2010-03-06: Site news
    #xine-vdpau
    #xine-vdpau (freenode) is no more. Use #xine (alternatively, on OFTC) instead.

It has been determined that, while it was the more active channel, a lot of its content was general xine-related chat, which is more on-topic in #xine, so we've decided that VDPAU no longer needs a separate channel. If you have a problem with this, send your comments to /dev/null ☺.

2010-03-06: Release
    xine-lib 1.1.18.1
    A new version of xine-lib is available. This is a bug-fix release; there were a few ?minor? breakages in 1.1.18.

Please check the release notes for details & known problems.

Download it from our download page.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X