The Huge Disaster Within The Linux 2.6.35 Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
    Who cares? Everything with Linux, X, DRI, DRM, Gallium, DDX, and *gl in the title I read anyway
    Yeah - well - I'm not living in my parent's basement, got a life and I only have time to read the relevant stuff. Headlines worthy of the 'National Enquirer' make me discount Phoronix generally.

Comment

• Originally posted by stevea View Post
      Yeah - well - I'm not living in my parent's basement, got a life and I only have time to read the relevant stuff. Headlines worthy of the 'National Enquirer' make me discount Phoronix generally.
      I am preparing to get a way from the upper floor basement. I have a live and a pretty respectably large group of friends (with 2-3 'core friends'). I also work about 34,5 hours per week (and having learned for my exams in the mean time) and so I have money for a MDA that runs Opera Mini and thus I am always online to read. 1/3 of your wake life is spend waiting, you know

Comment

• Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
        I am preparing to get a way from the upper floor basement. I have a live and a pretty respectably large group of friends (with 2-3 'core friends'). I also work about 34,5 hours per week (and having learned for my exams in the mean time) and so I have money for a MDA that runs Opera Mini and thus I am always online to read. 1/3 of your wake life is spend waiting, you know

Sob - your life is sooo difficult !

I work double those hours, my wife has a disability that requires constant care, and I'm tech lead on a project that may mean success/failure for my (shakey) company.

I don't have time to spend 1/3rd of my hours waiting. Neither will you once you have some responsibilities.

Comment

• so any sort of hint as to what was the problem or a link to a LKML discussion of it?

Comment

• Originally posted by stevea View Post
            Sob - your life is sooo difficult !
            I wasn't claiming it. Just wanted to clarify that I am not a loser who sits in his basement 24/7 eating pizza all day at the age of 30 and doing nothing. For my age this is pretty much not low-life...

I work double those hours, my wife has a disability that requires constant care,
            Respect for that! [you taking care of]

I don't have time to spend 1/3rd of my hours waiting. Neither will you once you have some responsibilities.
            OK I wasn't expecting that your wife was having a disability. The avarage person has a little bit more spare time (unless you have dept by choice or no retirement savings)

Comment

• So this was udev consuming 100% cpu? If it was, no one looked at top and iotop before running the benchmarks, to make sure the system was truly idle before running them?

Earlier it was mentioned that it may not have been anno_inode + udev causing the problem, but no one confirmed that top and iotop looked okay on the systems running the benchmarks. It would have been the first thing i looked at with a massive drop like that, "did one of the tests get out of control and stay alive, consuming cpu?"

Also much hate towards the Motorola popover that covers the entry box.

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael View Post
                To those that are saying it's due to a udev issue, that is not for certain yet. Linus is looking into this regression now.
                Ahh found the quote i was looking for. Add the above to my above post since it took me to long to find it to edit my post.

Comment

• @cynyr,
                  Briliant! Now if only you have figured it out before it was figured out.

Something about credit where it's due and people eagerly want to climb up some kind of a social acceptance ladder and primal instinctive behavior...

Comment

• Revised with direct questions.

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                    @cynyr,
                    Briliant! Now if only you have figured it out before it was figured out.

Something about credit where it's due and people eagerly want to climb up some kind of a social acceptance ladder and primal instinctive behavior...
                    Credit is due to whom ever alerted kernel devs via normal methods(LKML) first.

I'm guessing my previous post was not taken the way I meant it. I'll revise it below, in simple yes/no questions:
                    1. Was the anon_inode bug linked most recently by energyman, the problem at the start of the article?(Michael mentioned that he did not know for sure.)
                    2. Does PTS check cpu and IO loads before beginning a test?
                      • If it does, does PTS tag the results with that information?
                      • If PTS does not check, could it be made to?
                    3. Why wasn't idle CPU/IO load looked at/into prior to posting this article?
                      • If it was, why was it left out of the article?
                      • Is not ensuring an idle system before running tests SOP for Phoronix?

I'm not saying that PTS is not a useful tool, simply that like all tools they need to be used with cation and applied appropriately.

The bit about the fullpage popup(flyup?) that is getting though adblock still stands unrevised. It is very hard to enter text in the box when it is covered by a popup.

Comment

Working...
                    X