Clear All

• RealNC
    replied
    Yes .

Leave a comment:

• Loris
    replied
    Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    I have an R770 (HD4870). There is heavy lag when scrolling in every application (especially Gtk apps, and to a lesser extent Qt apps), some lag when pressing F12 to show my Yakuake console, video playback with Xv is skippy, navigating menus in application is laggy, lag when restoring windows from their minimized state (and that one turns even more laggy if another window is currently open rather than a clear desktop.)

All combined, it feels like Windows 7 on a Pentium 3 :P
    OpenGL compositing?

Leave a comment:

• RealNC
    replied
    I have an R770 (HD4870). There is heavy lag when scrolling in every application (especially Gtk apps, and to a lesser extent Qt apps), some lag when pressing F12 to show my Yakuake console, video playback with Xv is skippy, navigating menus in application is laggy, lag when restoring windows from their minimized state (and that one turns even more laggy if another window is currently open rather than a clear desktop.)

All combined, it feels like Windows 7 on a Pentium 3 :P

Leave a comment:

• Zhick
    replied
    I switched back to UMS. No one can live with this slowness and GUI lag.
    When are you seeing lags? I'm also using KMS, but except for some occasional hiccups in Firefox when using middle-mouse-button-scrolling (dunno what's the correct name ) everything seems snappy. And what card do you have, r300-r500 oder >=r600?

Leave a comment:

• RealNC
    replied
    I switched back to UMS. No one can live with this slowness and GUI lag.

It would be nice if I could say that KMS was worth the wait, but unfortunately this is not the case. It has been a major disappointment here. But I guess just like with fglrx, "next version will be better". Unfortunately for the OSS drivers, fglrx ships each month.

Leave a comment:

• RealNC
    replied
    (Damn post edit time :P)

Observation #3: KMS is slow as molasses sometimes. And I was using UMS forced at constant low GPU clocks previously, so I guess that says something.

Leave a comment:

• RealNC
    replied
    Hmm, is OpenGL buggy with KMS? glxgears is not getting V-Synced :-/ I'd expect it to get locked at 60FPS (my monitor's refresh rate), but:

Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be
    approximately 1/1096764487 the monitor refresh rate.
    8297 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1659.295 FPS
    7987 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1597.322 FPS
    8433 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1686.381 FPS

Leave a comment:

• RealNC
    replied
    OK, I've just built 2.6.34 vanilla. It seems the boot decor is still working, in which case I'm left wondering what the heck the Gentoo patches do in the first place

I didn't apply Con's BFS patch, just to see how the default scheduler is doing. Hey, it doesn't suck hard anymore Nice, it seems they fixed most of it.

KMS and dynpm=1 seems to work with my HD4870; at least I can't hear the fan trying to create a scale F5 tornado anymore. Now if I could only know how to read temperatures for the GPU :-/ Probably not possible.

One thing I noticed with V-Synced KMS is that 60FPS video is stuttering hard in windowed mode; with UMS it's tearing of course, but silk-smooth otherwise. It's *almost* OK in fullscreen mode (KDE "unredirects" full screen apps.) Applying the BFS patch though fixed it in fullscreen. Windowed mode still sucks though. Fortunately, the majority of videos aren't 60FPS.

Leave a comment:

• Shining Arcanine
    replied
    I know. It's just that I need the boot decor Gentoo patches :P
    You could make a local overlay for that.

Leave a comment:

• RealNC
    replied
    Originally posted by Shining Arcanine View Post
    It was in Gentoo within a few hours of release if you count sys-kernel/vanilla-sources.
    I know. It's just that I need the boot decor Gentoo patches :P

Leave a comment:

Working...
X