Another Hardware Vendor Joins The Linux Foundation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
    You shouldn't have told me that. Now I'll have to resist the temptation to brick my TV.
    Well, I doubt it would work on your TV, as it looks to me like it is for 2009 models (mostly xxLHxxxx) only, while xxLGxxxx are older ones. Probably better not try it

Comment

hey Adobe is providing us the Acrobat Reader (even the latest ones since some time) and Flash !

We really should be grateful for that (it's very useful for study since my professors use lots of PDF files and also certain PDF ebooks only can be displayed correctly with the Acrobat Reader)

While I'm still waiting for Digital Edition to be ported to Linux: Adobe you BIG FAT LIARS ! (afaik they promised a version for 2006/2007 and after that silently ignored any request for information afterwards )

Comment

well since we're all curious - can someone explain what does it exactly mean to be a part of linux foundation? does that mean that the company has to show some linux commitment to join?

Comment

Originally posted by kernelOfTruth View Post
          hey Adobe is providing us the Acrobat Reader (even the latest ones since some time) and Flash !

We really should be grateful for that (it's very useful for study since my professors use lots of PDF files and also certain PDF ebooks only can be displayed correctly with the Acrobat Reader)

While I'm still waiting for Digital Edition to be ported to Linux: Adobe you BIG FAT LIARS ! (afaik they promised a version for 2006/2007 and after that silently ignored any request for information afterward )
          Uh, what planet are you from?

Flash is a piece of s**t that gouges up 60% of a 2.8Ghz Phenom II and Acrobat reader takes ages to load and trashes and is unresponsive, compared to Evince, or any other PDF reader made by some guys at home for free, not by a gigantic billionaire corporation.

Except for a VERY niche market of DTP and related, what does PDF offer over DJVU, for example ? The fact that they modify their proprietary format once in a while just a teeny bit so PDF authored with an updated version of Acrobat Professional don't display correctly in anything else except their pi$$-poor, cpu hogging, ram gouging reader?

Why should "we" be grateful ? That Adobe took Flash from Macromedia and made it into a proprietary piece of s**t locking linux out of the multimedia internet ? That a corporation with billions at its disposal can't write a proper two-bit interpreter for Linux, while community driven efforts for Perl, Python & the rest can ? They bragged about how the code h264 decoding in flash only takes up only 118k as if you need to dl 118k for every frame of a HD movie. Well VLC or MPlayer take about 50Mb ONCE and use only 25% of a high-end quad core cpu playing back 1080p. Their piece of shit, which, by the way, is 100% outsourced - their too stupid to develop their own products, they just "manage", eats up 60-70% of the same cpu playing back 720p or some retarded game that, written naively with C and GTK/Cairo would run on a K6-II.

Maybe the Linux Foundation should withdraw Adobe's membership until their linux versions of proprietary format players are on par with the windows ones.

Hopefully, after Google open-sources VP8, HTML5 will take off and Adobe will go back to being an anonymous vendor of niche DTP and graphics editors.

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
            well since we're all curious - can someone explain what does it exactly mean to be a part of linux foundation? does that mean that the company has to show some linux commitment to join?
            Well, since Adobe is a member, it probably means that you can have your pi$$-poor, closed source, proprietary format viewers/players in a separate repository on a Distro's official fpt...

That and a little bit of prostitution for the membership fees and/or donations.

Given that the latest release version of Flash for linux are worse than the previous one, I don't see what "linux commitment" could mean, apart from nice corporate PR.

Comment

LG?

lol.

Really.
              I remember a case some years ago when they had a CD burner and this one would react to some standard ATAPI flush_cache command with a flushing of its firmware and brick.
              Iirc Mandriva used that command to check if there was a burner or normal cd reader, and LG loudly stated "we do not test our hardware with linux" and things like that.
              Seems to have changed since then. Well, I see that with confusion but also some joy. (umm, there, it was 2003, okay, 7 years to change their mind, well, why not.)
              Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by CNCFarraday View Post
                Uh, what planet are you from?

Flash is a piece of s**t that gouges up 60% of a 2.8Ghz Phenom II and Acrobat reader takes ages to load and trashes and is unresponsive, compared to Evince, or any other PDF reader made by some guys at home for free, not by a gigantic billionaire corporation.

Except for a VERY niche market of DTP and related, what does PDF offer over DJVU, for example ? The fact that they modify their proprietary format once in a while just a teeny bit so PDF authored with an updated version of Acrobat Professional don't display correctly in anything else except their pi$$-poor, cpu hogging, ram gouging reader?

Why should "we" be grateful ? That Adobe took Flash from Macromedia and made it into a proprietary piece of s**t locking linux out of the multimedia internet ? That a corporation with billions at its disposal can't write a proper two-bit interpreter for Linux, while community driven efforts for Perl, Python & the rest can ? They bragged about how the code h264 decoding in flash only takes up only 118k as if you need to dl 118k for every frame of a HD movie. Well VLC or MPlayer take about 50Mb ONCE and use only 25% of a high-end quad core cpu playing back 1080p. Their piece of shit, which, by the way, is 100% outsourced - their too stupid to develop their own products, they just "manage", eats up 60-70% of the same cpu playing back 720p or some retarded game that, written naively with C and GTK/Cairo would run on a K6-II.

Maybe the Linux Foundation should withdraw Adobe's membership until their linux versions of proprietary format players are on par with the windows ones.

Hopefully, after Google open-sources VP8, HTML5 will take off and Adobe will go back to being an anonymous vendor of niche DTP and graphics editors.
                just goes to show you, even in the world of OSS, money is king...

Comment

I have the DVD burner LG GH22NS50 and there are strange things: It looks like a HDD with windows installation software for the computer. And it does not work with linux somehow. If you downgrade the firmware it should work, but actually it doesn't (here at least, Fedora 12. Want to test Fedora 13, but I can't burn anything.). What's so hard to create a dvd drive that works with linux? For me it's a joke that LG joined the Linux foundation.
                  They should start to provide linux support, maybe they do now. I think though, they give a shit.

Ah, the damn "technology" is called "bluebird". And without windows you can't remove it. At least I dunno how. Wine does not work.

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                    LG?

lol.

Really.
                    I remember a case some years ago when they had a CD burner and this one would react to some standard ATAPI flush_cache command with a flushing of its firmware and brick.
                    I remember this one. I didn't have LG drive those days, but I thought it was Mandriva fault and I have feared it will "burn" my drive

Comment

Originally posted by bugmenot View Post
                      Ah, the damn "technology" is called "bluebird". And without windows you can't remove it. At least I dunno how. Wine does not work.
                      put it into a windows pc and remove that feature :P . Finding a PC that runs windows shouldnt be too hard in these times

scnr

Comment

Working...
                      X