Linux 2.6.34-rc1 Kernel Is Out w/ New Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
    As far as PM, it does seem to work. The core is downclocking fine as far as I can tell, which is making things slower than usual; KMS makes 2D slow as is, so the downclocking is making things worse .
    Mobility 3470 here. The first DRM power management patches did just that, slowing 2D to unacceptable levels. Since 2.6.33 + patches, it's become very good, with no noticeable slowness at all. Now, it seems to change core and memory frequencies very fast.

And my notebook stopped hanging with a black screen due to overheating, as well.

Now, I'm just hoping the current power management, or the future advancements, will be enough to cope with the summer's heat.

Thank you developers.

Comment

On my laptop (200M) it works a bit better, in that it's not unbearably slow. Thing is that when the core downclocks, response becomes "jumpy"; the mouse cursor seems to get "stuck" as I move it across the screen, and window animations sometimes leave a noticeable trace behind them. This again, is due to KMS making things slow and the slower frequencies only worsening the problem. Should be better once I move to a newer xserver.

Comment

Melcar: how did you enable PM ? I tried everything but I'm still on default clocks...

I have integrated 3200 HD, may this be the problem? Is PM supposed to work with integrated cards?

Comment

From the grub2 menu, I just added:

Code:
          radeon.dynpm=1
          ... to the kernel parameter line. It works on both my HD4850 and my laptop's integrated 200M.

Comment

hm, with this I have
            Code:
            state: PM_STATE_ACTIVE
            , but engine clock is always on default value...

Comment

The phoronix baseline test

PHORONIX BASELINE TEST

Have a series of test to check basic functionality.
              Suspend / Resume, Hibernate Same test really.<br>
              Acceleration<br>
              Sound<br>
              etc.<br>

Manufacturers could begin testing before they release new hardware.

Comment

Manufacturers do this already - isn't the issue that you want them to do it with *your* Linux distro rather than just with Windows ?
                Test signature

Comment

I have:
                  Code:
                  state: PM_STATE_MINIMUM
                  What does it mean? The new kernel dropped about 20C (from 80C to 60C) which is already very good result but I still have a hairdryer instead of fan (it's sooooooo annoying). Maybe with ACTIVE instead of MINIMUM it'll be better? Is there any way to change it?

Comment

Working...
                  X