Version 1.98 Of GRUB2 Boot Loader Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pejakm View Post
    I'm also having troubles to boot into reiser4 with grub2... And grub2 is so damn slow.
    I'm glad it's not just me. Grub2 is slow here too.

How did you configure yours? Mine (1.97) is configured to load a 37K font and a 65K background jpeg at 1280x720 from a small grub dedicated ext2 partition.

On my computer a 2.6.33 kernel tailored for my hardware initializes and launches sysvinit faster than grub2 can initialize and show its menu. A boot loader booting slower than a full blown kernel is crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by StringCheesian View Post
      I'm glad it's not just me. Grub2 is slow here too.

How did you configure yours? Mine (1.97) is configured to load a 37K font and a 65K background jpeg at 1280x720 from a small grub dedicated ext2 partition.

On my computer a 2.6.33 kernel tailored for my hardware initializes and launches sysvinit faster than grub2 can initialize and show its menu. A boot loader booting slower than a full blown kernel is crazy.
      1.97.2 here. I've been using Grub2 with gfxmenu patches, but it was to damn slow, so I've installed original grub2. Still (to damn) slow, altough I'm using the plain default configuration (no fonts or images). Thinking of returning to good ol' grub.

Comment

lilo - grub2 and ruby

Still on lilo since it's minimal and works on 64 bits native systems unlike grub 1.
        Last time I checked grub2, it requiered me to install ruby then I did not install it.
        Is this monstruous bloat and kludge still requiered in recent grub2?

Comment

Hope Grub2 won't become bloatware. A boot manager has to be fast and useful and not have many useless options that are pure eyecandy.

Comment

I still use Grub1...loads fast and boots an OS fast.

Comment

kludge?

Originally posted by SkyHiRider View Post
              Hope Grub2 won't become bloatware. A boot manager has to be fast and useful and not have many useless options that are pure eyecandy.
              If it still depends on ruby, it's fried.

Comment

Originally posted by sylware View Post
                If it still depends on ruby, it's fried.
                That's not actually a boot-time dependency, is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Ex-Cyber View Post
                  That's not actually a boot-time dependency, is it?
                  Last time I checked, I couldn't use it without installing ruby, so I finally used lilo.

Comment

Originally posted by sylware View Post
                    Last time I checked, I couldn't use it without installing ruby, so I finally used lilo.
                    Not to mention it depends on freetype if you want a graphical menu. It's more of a full blown operating system than a boot loader. And yes, it's painfully slow.

Comment

Maybe it soon tries to take on emacs :P

Comment

Working...
                      X