Finally, Reiser4 Benchmarks Against EXT4 & Btrfs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by energyman View Post
    If you don 't care about your data then ext4 might be a good choice.
    im afraid you might just be right .

Comment

funny how reiser4 beats these claimed-to-be-revolutionary filesystems.

Comment

I'm very aware that anecdote != data, but reiser4 is the only file system I've had where a bunch of files have irrevocably disappeared, and this was when it was supposed to be reasonably usable, not back when it was expected to be unstable, I'd guess sometime not too long before hans was caught. I'd be pretty wary about trusting it again.

Comment

Originally posted by patstew View Post
          I'm very aware that anecdote != data, but reiser4 is the only file system I've had where a bunch of files have irrevocably disappeared, and this was when it was supposed to be reasonably usable, not back when it was expected to be unstable, I'd guess sometime not too long before hans was caught. I'd be pretty wary about trusting it again.
          I've had the same happen on Reiser3. Afterwards. I moved to EXT3 (and then EXT4) which haven't disappointed me after several years of intensive use (including multiple power failures and dying hard drives).

Unless Reiser developers (is it even under development nowadays?) ensure that it works reliably under all conditions, I wouldn't touch this with a 10' pole. Reliability >> speed any day of the week.

Comment

What's the significance of the SQLite test on an SSD? I'd expect it to be seek-bound on a conventional disk, but that's just a guess...

Comment

As the BKL removal patch for ReiserFS was just merged it would be nice to have a version of the test executed comparing ReiserFS BKL vs. BKL free to see the impact. It would also be nice to note for future reference which is used in the test.

Comment

SQLite makes a gazillion small changes to a single file. Worst-case scenario for a lot of journaling-schemes.

Comment

What's the difference ReiserFS and Reiser4?

I like to try this some day...Raiser=Razer

Comment

Originally posted by intgr View Post
                    Geez! reiser4 is known to be broken on Zen-Kernel because has not been ported to Linux 2.6.32 yet.

What was wrong with the official reiser4 patches?

What sort of crack is being smoked here?

You link goes to "pub/linux/kenrel/people/edward"

And the email link you posted here is a email _from_Edwards_ talking about how Reiser4 is broken in _2.6.32_ due to changesto the kernel introduced since 2.6.31.

That post says that Reiser4 support is broken in 2.6.32, not that it has anything to do with anything specifically to Zen. So I have to assume that it's the 2.6.32 reiser4 patch in the link you posted that is broken.

One guy posting broken patches and saying he will get around to fixing the problems in his spare time is not something gives me any confindence at all in the state of Reiser4.

Comment

drag, the latest resier4 patch FROM EDWARD is NOT BROKEN.

The stuff in ZEN on the other hand has been broken for ages and I am afraid since Micheal had problems is still broken.

So, for you: Edward was able to create an unbroken patch for 2.6.32. A patch that is working flawless here. He also posted a series of patches for -mm on 2.2.2010. If you want to look into mailing list archives.

Comment

Working...
                      X