Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adobe Flash 10.1 Beta 3 Comes w/o 64-bit Linux

Phoronix: Adobe Flash 10.1 Beta 3 Comes w/o 64-bit Linux

Adobe's Mike Melanson has updated the Adobe Penguin.SWF blog for Linux users and it's not an update on his Linux video acceleration rant, but rather to announce that Flash Player 10.1 Beta 3 has been released. As has been the case with Adobe for a while now, the Linux Flash version has been updated in tandem with the Windows and Mac OS X builds...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

There's some kind of squabbling going on between microsoft, adobe and Mac. Adobe seems to be purposely messingup OS/X by making cruddy player and ignoring linux X_64. All in the name of immortality. THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!

Comment

Who cares. We've got nspluginwrapper.

Comment

Gnarf...

Hm, I really don't know how such a big company can make such a cruel mistake.

I really think that if it goes on like this and no company thinks further than "How do I earn money" we'll be struck in 32 bit still a very long time...

HTML 5 - Video Tag : http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/7

"reluctantly come to the conclusion that we have no way to get consensus on this issue. In particular, I am not aware of any codec that every browser vendor is willing to implement and that video publishers are interested in using to publish their videos. "

It's sad. I can understand that video websites like youtube couldn't convert all their videos to ogg for example and there would be a long time running flash / html 5 video... But what I cannot understand is that companies still play like in the kindergarden and don't want to come to an unique solution. What has happened with HTML 5 video tag, is the same as with 32 bit : Adobe: no flash player 64-bit. Mozilla: no prebuilt 64-bit binaries. and so on...

Companies seem to be less and less the motor of evolution...

Comment

I just installed this on 64-bit Firefox 3.6 (nspluginwrapper accepts it and it works.) It's actually a nice update. Many bugs fixed. Flash elements (buttons etc) don't seem to get stuck anymore and Zynga Poker (Facebook and other sites have this) now actually works like in Windows.

This one looks like it got attention for those annoying Linux bugs. Never thought I'd say this, but thanks Adobe, lol :P

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
            I just installed this on 64-bit Firefox 3.6 (nspluginwrapper accepts it and it works.) It's actually a nice update. Many bugs fixed. Flash elements (buttons etc) don't seem to get stuck anymore and Zynga Poker (Facebook and other sites have this) now actually works like in Windows.

This one looks like it got attention for those annoying Linux bugs. Never thought I'd say this, but thanks Adobe, lol :P
            What's about the annoying volume keyboard buttons bug switching from fullscreen to normal screen ? Is it fixed in that release ?

Thanks

Comment

I don't have volume buttons on my keyboard, so no idea :P

Comment

Originally posted by DragonsTear View Post
                Hm, I really don't know how such a big company can make such a cruel mistake.

I really think that if it goes on like this and no company thinks further than "How do I earn money" we'll be struck in 32 bit still a very long time...

HTML 5 - Video Tag : http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/7

"reluctantly come to the conclusion that we have no way to get consensus on this issue. In particular, I am not aware of any codec that every browser vendor is willing to implement and that video publishers are interested in using to publish their videos. "

It's sad. I can understand that video websites like youtube couldn't convert all their videos to ogg for example and there would be a long time running flash / html 5 video... But what I cannot understand is that companies still play like in the kindergarden and don't want to come to an unique solution. What has happened with HTML 5 video tag, is the same as with 32 bit : Adobe: no flash player 64-bit. Mozilla: no prebuilt 64-bit binaries. and so on...

Companies seem to be less and less the motor of evolution...
                That's not the jist of it. As it is now there are too many people interested in using computers to track spy etc etc. Flash is just spyware, the net is looking for something that is all encompassing that everyone has loaded and uses at least once a day. Flash does that. It then keeps tracking your every move from there on out. It's not the companies so much as the intelligence communities in brittan and US that keep shoving money down their throat to put this out "free". Linux becomes a problem because it doesn't want or like binary blobs. To really do it right you have to dive into the stream. Flash won't dive into the stream because it won't tolerate what it does code wise being subjected to thousands of prying eyes that know exactly what it's doing.

So google switching to OGG. Not going to happen.

Comment

That's the most serious problem right after the reptilian aliens from Aldebaran controlling the world's governments if you ask me.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                    Who cares. We've got nspluginwrapper.
                    Which is slow and makes plug-ins crashing. I had to disable it...

Comment

Working...
                    X