Linux 2.6.32 Kernel To Be Maintained Longer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    It's the most widely used Linux for desktop PCs and thus concerns most people.

Whether "using apt-get as a substitute for package manager" is right or wrong, or if there's no indicator of where the true development lies, is irrelevant. Ubuntu is synonymous to Linux with most people, and many don't even know Linux but know Ubuntu instead. That's the way it is, and whether we have your personal agreement on that situation or not really doesn't make any difference.

I don't really like Ubuntu either (even though I end up installing it on people's PCs all the time since it's the only distro I know that will work OK for them out of the box and they will grasp how to use it; I guess that explains its popularity), but blaming Phoronix for being somewhat Ubuntu centric? That is wrong too.
    So XBox Live is the most used online gaming service, Toyota is the number 1 seller of vehicles as well by your criteria using those substitutions would be fine as well. Lets use iTunes as another example being used as a substitute for download music service. Do you think it would be right to use it as a substitute if all of a sudden one day the music industry decides to go 100% DRM free but all the articles promote it as a iTunes feature?

Linux, Ubuntu etc are also, don't forget trademarks, with a respective trademark holders. Even GNU/Linux is not a appropriate substitute for linux as there are other non-GNU built linux variants.

Comment

It's just sad that the "article" is just a reposting of Greg's mail post but changing the focus to Ubuntu

Comment

Maybe Ubuntu is "Linux for the masses" but I doubt the masses read Phoronix and its "articles" about git-versions of radeon drivers, clutter toolkit, wayland, etc... I'm sure those who find Linux/FLOSS/technology interesting shortly after converting to Ubuntu knows that Ubuntu != Linux, just like a PC != Windows.

Phoronix should acknowledge this instead of going after the lowest common denominator, but I don't think that will happen. Somehow every "article" has to mention Ubuntu and/or PTS, even news about the kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by numasan View Post
          Maybe Ubuntu is "Linux for the masses" but I doubt the masses read Phoronix and its "articles" about git-versions of radeon drivers, clutter toolkit, wayland, etc... I'm sure those who find Linux/FLOSS/technology interesting shortly after converting to Ubuntu knows that Ubuntu != Linux, just like a PC != Windows.

Phoronix should acknowledge this instead of going after the lowest common denominator, but I don't think that will happen. Somehow every "article" has to mention Ubuntu and/or PTS, even news about the kernel.
          You Have Been Trolled. The articles here aren't written with the intention of being substantial or correct - they're there to grab as many ad eyeballs as possible, by stuffing as many self-referential links in as possible with provocative link text and reminders to click the referral links.

It's a business model. Granted, an unsustainable business model...

Comment

Shouldn't it be pretty common knowledge around here that ubuntu doesn't make a very large contribution to the kernel? not that is a bad thing IMO...

The reason it is recieving longer support is becuase other distros will also be keeping it as stable greg said as long as it is recievving patches and ubuntu doesn't do many patches so it stands to reason that this has nothing to do with debian but more to do with suse, redhat, gentoo and debian... that it does have to do directly with ubuntu other than it works out really nice for them which is great.

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post
              Shouldn't it be pretty common knowledge around here that ubuntu doesn't make a very large contribution to the kernel? not that is a bad thing IMO...
              This has been discussed numerous times anyway, but...

If Ubuntu doesn't contribute to the kernel, that fine. But they don't contribute to glibc, coreutils, binutils, x.org, or mesa? All they do is patch software and leave it in their website, and expect developers to come and grab it, OR make their own projects even if solutions already exist. (usplash and xsplash are perfect examples of this, bootsplash has existed before usplash, and I don't even know what they were thinking with xsplash)

Comment

Originally posted by some-guy View Post
                If Ubuntu doesn't contribute to the kernel, that fine. But they don't contribute to glibc, coreutils, binutils, x.org, or mesa? All they do is patch software and leave it in their website, and expect developers to come and grab it, OR make their own projects even if solutions already exist.
                Ah, so they either create patches for existing software, or they create new software. How shameful. You may want to take a look at this wiki page: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Website/Cont...uContributions

Anyway, it isn't Ubuntu's fault that every Linux user uses Ubuntu. Ubuntu's popularity does not mean Canonical should hire loads of people. Canonical is a small company, and just happens to have a huge user base.

Comment

Originally posted by Remco View Post
                  Anyway, it isn't Ubuntu's fault that every Linux user uses Ubuntu.
                  That's the exact same kind of BS that people get tired of. "Every linux user", "majority of linux users", etc which is far from the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by Remco View Post
                    Ah, so they either create patches for existing software, or they create new software. How shameful. You may want to take a look at this wiki page: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Website/Cont...uContributions

Anyway, it isn't Ubuntu's fault that every Linux user uses Ubuntu. Ubuntu's popularity does not mean Canonical should hire loads of people. Canonical is a small company, and just happens to have a huge user base.
                    You do know that nearly all of those are either ubuntu spawned projects, or fixes/features for debian's tools
                    Last edited by some-guy; 19 January 2010, 11:07 PM. Reason: wrong quote

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                      So XBox Live is the most used online gaming service, Toyota is the number 1 seller of vehicles as well by your criteria using those substitutions would be fine as well. Lets use iTunes as another example being used as a substitute for download music service. Do you think it would be right to use it as a substitute if all of a sudden one day the music industry decides to go 100% DRM free but all the articles promote it as a iTunes feature?
                      you are ridiculous man - learn how to argue:

Comment

Working...
                      X