With Linux 2.6.32, Btrfs Gains As EXT4 Recedes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Normal HDD Please

I agree with the others. SSD's are not universally affordable and most people are still looking at performance with 7200rpm 1TB+ or bigger drives.

I would really like a retest with a standard 7200, and maybe even a laptop 5400 drive. (As laptops outsell desktops now).

The existing filesystems are designed to work with a rotating HD anyways. Their algorithms take into account latency and head movement, all of which is non-existent on SSDs.

Also, while you are at it, please take a look at JFS, and Reiser4. Get the zen-kernel (also available as a ppa) which supports reiser4. With Reiser4 possibly going into mainline I think it would be fair to compare it.

Finally, test reiser4 with lzo and gzip compression vs btrfs w/zlib.

Thanks for the work. I don't want to sound ungrateful. But these tests with SSD's don't make much sense, when SSD filesystems are designed differently.

Comment

Any chance XFS could be made using 'mkfs.xfs -l size=64m' and mounted using 'logbufs=8'

Comment

Originally posted by next9 View Post
        Again. Strange comparison based upon Ubuntu system. Why?

It should be noticed, that Ubuntu Ext3 does not use barriers by default in order to look much faster. But this is big lie, putting users data into the danger!

Typical Ext3 speed on distribution, that care safety of users data, would be much slower in these graphs.
        Totally i agree.

Under my point of view the policy of phoronix of benchmarking always at default settings creates unfair conditions (and misinformation to non aware lectors). On this case 1 filesystem is running without barriers whereas the other have barriers enabled.

Comment

Agreed, maybe Phoronix should choose better Linux distribution to benchmark file systems performance with default settings.
          Otherwise those graphs are not file systems benchmarks but rather Ubuntu experience benchmarks -> completely worthless for broader audience.

Comment

Ubuntu *is* the broader audience.

Comment

I wonder if any of this changes with 2.6.32.1 and a bunch of ext4 updates.

Comment

Originally posted by reavertm
                Why not rename Phoronix test suite to Ubuntu test suite?
                Because it's not only made for Ubuntu and it run on other distributions and systems as well. However, I'd like to see generic kernel benchmarks with the same mount options if possible.

@Garp
                Sure, but what kernel version are you using? Phoronix have already pointed out very recently that there is a serious ext4 performance regression in the latest kernel (2.6.32) compared to previous releases.
                This regression is just a change in Ext4.

@Jbrown96
                Originally Posted by jbrown96 View Post
                It's disappointing to see how Ext4 seems to be going backwards. I know that the mount options make a huge difference with ext4, but I haven't really been able to follow them very well. My computer is a laptop, so it has a UPS (the battery) built in. Does anyone know some mount options that would improve performance. I'm not worried about data integrity since I have a battery.
                You didn't read previous comments, did you? If Ext3 had different mount options then Ext4 what's the point in such comparison and then you base on what saying Ext4 seems to be going backwards?
                Last edited by kraftman; 15 December 2009, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Judging from this particular "benchmark" it seems whole file systems development that happened during all those days (after EXT3 was released) was purely pointless - is this what we're supposed to read as conclusion? (you know - the point of making benchmarks is to deliver conclusion other than 'benchmark is inappropriate').

Michael, please try to be more vanilla.
                  Or the opposite - tweak configurations so that meaningful conclusions can be drawn from it.

@kraftman
                  please edit your replies

Comment

Originally posted by reavertm View Post
                    (you know - the point of making benchmarks is to deliver conclusion other than 'benchmark is inappropriate').
                    Definitely.

@kraftman
                    please edit your replies
                    What for? I think they're correct. Or maybe you meant to put EDIT: when editing them?

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                      As far as I know, SSD mode is activated by default nowadays with btrfs. Are you sure it was disabled?

Anyways, here's my future predictions:

- btrfs will not be avaible with Ubuntu 10.04
                      - btrfs will be avaible as an option for Ubuntu 10.10 which ships Linux 2.6.35/2.6.36
                      - I will use btrfs with Ubuntu 10.10 and it will seriously rock
                      - btrfs will become the default filesystem and replace ext4 in most mainstream distributions in early 2011
                      Thanks. Want to share when the messiah will be down to greet us? It's a filesystem benchmark, what's that got to do with when ubuntu users will be blessed with btrfs? I bet you're one of these people that upgraded to Ubuntu xx.xx without even knowing what the difference was.

I'm tired of these tests where default options are used everywhere. What's the point? Show us the potential of these filesystems not just the fact that no configuration = crap performance.

Comment

Working...
                      X