Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DeviceKit-disks Renames Itself To UDisks

Phoronix: DeviceKit-disks Renames Itself To UDisks

As Alan Coopersmith pointed out after mentioning the X.Org plans to move away from HAL, the DeviceKit-disks project has renamed itself. DeviceKit-disks is now to be known as udisks...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm totally supportive about this. One of the biggest strength of OSS / Linux world is people is willing to, and have the guts to make fundamental changes to things that needs to be changed. If sure creates a short term pain, but in the long run this is a good thing. Far better than the Microsoft's backward compatible to every single bug approach. Look at Win32API, it's designed about 20 years ago and still have to be supported in latest Windows 7. That's a shit load of burden Microsoft is laid on itself.

Comment

That's why people pay them.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
        That's why people pay them.
        Yup their benefit and their curse altogether...

Comment

If it's just for the sake of a name change it's the most goddamn stupid thing I've ever heard in my life. That is if it works the same and applications can interact with it the same way it's completely irrelevant that it is not using separate daemons anymore and thus the namespace change is just mind numbly stupid.

There is justification for a change if the change is a improvement in basic design, but otherwise change is bad.

Comment

Originally posted by drag View Post
            If it's just for the sake of a name change it's the most goddamn stupid thing I've ever heard in my life.
            Yup. Next release cycle the devs will decide that udisks makes it sound too much like a kernel integration library and rename it idisks. Then the next development cycle they'll realize that sounds too much like an Apple product and rename it to ldisks. Then the cycle after that they'll decide to rename it to something catchy like PhazerGunDiskTechnologyPro.

But hey, at least it'll be _less confusing_!

Open Source at its finest.

Comment

While I agree that breaking a bunch of code just for a name change is really stupid, let's be fair here. The release notes still have this highlighted near the top:

NOTE NOTE NOTE: This is an unstable release of DeviceKit-disks, all API is subject to change.
              And it's brand new with barely anyone really using it yet, so now is definitely the time to make changes like this rather than waiting around.

Most people wouldn't complain if a new project still in alpha status changed some of it's API, it's just the fact that this project is so central to the Linux system and the fact that what it's replacing has already entered a feature freeze that people take notice.
              Last edited by smitty3268; 02 December 2009, 11:51 PM.

Comment

Well, if it wasn't for the sake of perfectionist OSS would not have gone this far.

Why rip the whole goddamn graphics stack while the previous one works fine and we would just patch it and patch it till it fulfills the need?

Name changing, if done on early stage can greatly reduce future confusion. Remember why electrons have negative charge, and it comes out from negative pole of a battery and goes in to the positive pole, while the electric 'flow' is the other way around? People tends to be damn lazy and in the end live with the shit they left over forever. If you are happy with this, Windows suits you better, they just keeps patching, building one layer on top of another but never go back to improve the basement. .NET is based on Win32, even a lot of its libraries reflects that, is that what you want to see, to use? Then Windows is better for you again.

Comment

Portability?

reliant upon libudev and libgudev
                  I thought DeviceKit (as it were) had an interest in producing portable code. That all the OS specific code was abstracted and thus allowing other OS's (such a FreeBSD) to easily leverage the common infrastructure.

It appears to me that, being so closely tied to udev that this is no longer possible?

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyRider View Post
                    Why rip the whole goddamn graphics stack while the previous one works fine and we would just patch it and patch it till it fulfills the need?
                    Because X has suffered from good FLOSS graphics drivers, fast FLOSS graphics drivers, more capable FLOSS graphics drivers and wait for 3 years to get your GPU do 3D FLOSS graphics drivers.

Comment

Working...
                    X